This all purpose Mexican spiced chicken is cooked in a skillet and is delicious in tacos, burritos, quesadillas or salads. Make a batch for easy Mexican meals throughout the week.
I'm a huge fan of Mexican anything.
So comforting, SPICY and full of so much flavor.
As with most of our Mexican recipes, chicken takes the centre stage and as Rachel Ray would say it, 'tis cheap and cheerful.
I normally make a batch of this spicy Mexican chicken over the weekend and it is very handy for school /work lunch box or dinner <---- Flavorful and delicious.
It could be served plain as part of your family dinner or stuffed in quesadillas, salads, burritos, wraps, tacos or meal prepped.
A great chicken recipe begins with a delicious Mexican chicken seasoning. Store bought stuff is ok, but homemade is way better, right?
Love chicken dinners. Check out a huge collection of Easy Chicken Recipes
What is Mexican spiced chicken?
It is chicken coated with flavorful blend of Mexican spices and then cooked. You could simply use some store-bought taco seasoning here. But, why would ya when you can make it yourself. The advantage here is that you get to control the flavors according to your taste - More/less salt, more/less spicy, more/less garlicky,.......
How to make Mexican flavored chicken?
Rub some seasoning (as much or as little) onto boneless skinless chicken thighs. Marinade in the fridge for at-least an hour (or up to a day)
Heat vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet and cook on both sides until fully cooked. Cool, slice or chop and use in your favorite recipe.
If you have chicken taco seasoning mixed, then this recipe has only 2 main ingredients : chicken and taco seasoning
What are the ingredients in chicken taco seasoning?
Paprika, dried oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper and salt.
So many spices <--- you know this is one flavorful chicken
To use chicken breasts: Use boneless, skinless chicken breast. Pat the thicker part with a meat mallet so that it is mostly even in thickness before marinating. This helps chicken to cook evenly without the thinner part being overcooked before the rest of the chicken is done (Cooking time will be lesser when working with breasts).
Marination time: Marinated chicken can be refrigerated for at least one hour (can be stored up to 1 day). If pressed for time, go ahead and cook it right away.
How to serve this Mexican spiced chicken recipe?
- Use 'em in quesadillas ----> Spicy Chicken Ranch Quesadillas
- Serve for dinner with Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice and topped with Avocado Crema
- Chop 'em up stuff into tacos.
- Make a Spicy Chipotle chicken burrito bowl
- Top your Nachos
- Make burrito. Wrap all burrito bowl ingredients in a large tortilla.
- Make a salad ---> all your favorite salad ingredients topped with Mexican spiced chicken and creamy ranch dressing
- Serve with a drizzle of cilantro lime sauce
Cooked and cooled chicken can be refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 4 days. Reheat in microwave before serving.
Keeping track of all the Mexican recipes around here?
English Muffin Pizzas ( Mexican Style)
Mexican Spiced Chicken for Tacos, Burritos, Quesadillas or Salads
- One recipe taco seasoning
- 1 to 11/4 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, about 4 (refer notes if using chicken breasts)
- 3 tablepsoons vegetable oil
- ½ lime, optional
- Toss chicken thighs and taco seasoning (use as much or as less you like) in a bowl, until seasoning is evenly distributed. Cover and refrigerator at least one hour (can be stored up to 1 day). If pressed for time, go ahead and cook it right away.
- Heat vegetable oil in medium skillet (Cast iron is a great option) over medium -high heat. Place chicken thighs in a single layer and cook for about 4 minutes, turn over and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, until fully cooked.
- Transfer chicken to a plate ( squeeze some lime juice if you prefer) and cool slightly before slicing or chopping, depending on use.
Nutritional information is based on third party calculations, should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types, brands purchased, produce, the way ingredients are processed and more change the nutritional information in any recipe.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.