This Air fryer Chicken Tacos is made with deliciously seasoned Mexican chicken, pico de gallo and avocado. A super easy weeknight dinner that will become a family favorite!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases through our affiliate link. For more information read our Non-Disclosure Agreement.
Air Fryer Chicken Tacos
These tacos is the ultimate easy recipe – made with super delicious and flavorful meat, a simple pico de gallo, avocado and sour cream on corn tortillas. They aren’t fussy and not too many toppings. They are great serving for a crowd, Cinco de Mayo or just weeknight dinner.
Why you’ll love this recipe?
These are one of the easiest and tastiest dinners, plus they are made in 30 minutes (if you skip marinating time). It is the perfect Taco Tuesday recipe.
- Air fryer dinner – There are lots of ways to make Mexican chicken with no breading, but here we are doing it the simplest way —> Air frying! It’s my favorite to meal prep, because it’s so versatile.
- Simple yet flavorful – The air fryer taco meat is made with only 4 ingredients —> thighs, taco seasoning, lime juice and some vegetable oil. The seasoning is our homemade taco seasoning that is incredibly popular and amazing delicious.
- Customizable – Add any and all of your favorite Tex-Mex toppings to make these your own.
- Easy to make ahead – Do you like to meal prep? This air fryer meat works perfectly for spicy salads, burrito bowls or quesadillas.
HOW TO HEAT TORTILLAS IN AIR FRYER?
Wrap corn or flour tortillas in aluminium foil and place in a pre heated 350 degree fryer for 3 to 4 minutes.
How to cook moist, tender thighs in air fryer?
- Marinade – Marinading the meat with salt, spices and lime juice helps tenderize the meat, flavors the meat all the way through, so the meat tastes completely seasoned and not bland inside.
- Don’t over cook – Poultry is considered cooked at 165 degrees F. The time given in the recipe ensures not overcooking the chicken.
- High heat – The high heat makes sure that the meat is cooked outside with hot blast of air from the air fryer yet keeping the inside moist.
Can I use chicken breasts?
Sure can! We love to use thighs because they are juicy, moist and almost impossible to over cook. If using boneless, skinless breasts —> Cook them at 380 degrees for 6 minutes, flip over and cook for an additional 6 minutes, or until completely cooked.
How to cook in a skillet?
Heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce oil used for marination and drizzle the remaining in the hot skillet. Place marinated meat in skillet spacing evenly apart. Let cook until browned on bottom, about 6 minutes. Turn over, reduce heat to medium if needed. Continue to cook until cooked through (165 degrees in thickest portion), about 6 minutes longer.
How to Grill or Bake?
Grill – Grill marinated meat over medium heat until a thermometer registers 165 degrees in centre (flip half way), about 10 to 12 minutes.
Oven – Place on a greased baking sheet, cook at 425 degrees, until cooked through, about 25 to 30 minutes.
How much chicken do I need for tacos?
This recipe make 6 tacos using about 3 boneless skinless thighs (which weighs 3/4th to 1 pound, depending on the size). Feel free to double or triple the recipe depending on how many people you’re serving (and if you have too much, it does make great leftovers!).
- Chicken thighs – 3 boneless skinless thighs (3/4th to 1 pound) is perfect for this recipe.
- Seasoning – We highly recommend using this homemade taco seasoning recipe. It is by far more flavorful than any store bought ones.
- Lime – Use freshly squeezed lime juice and not any anything from a bottle. It makes a huge difference.
- Pico de gallo – Use this homemade pico de gallo or store bought.
- Tortillas – We recommend using white or yellow corn tortillas.
- Avocado and Sour cream
PRO TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- The recipe is best with thighs. They are more fattier and almost impossible to overcook.
- Tortillas – Corn tortillas as our go-to for a good taco. You can even use flour or almond flour tortillas (we love the ones from Costco).
- Taco seasoning – We highly recommend our homemade seasoning recipe. If using store bought seasoning, then use about 1 to 2 tablespoons (depends on the salt).
- Sour cream – Mix sour cream with a squeeze of lime juice, salt and a dash water.
HOW TO MAKE?
Marinade chicken – Toss thighs with Mexican seasoning, lime juice and vegetable oil. Marinade for about 30 minutes at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours in the refrigerator.
Cook – Place marinated meat in a pre heated 400 degree air fryer and cook for 6 minutes, flip over and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Rest for a few minutes and chop.
Pico de gallo – Use store bought pico or make your own (recipe link included)
Warm tortillas – Warm tortillas in microwave, air fryer or char on stove top.
Sour cream sauce – Stir sour cream with lime juice, salt and water to thin it a bit.
Assemble – Load tortillas with cooked meat, pico de gallo, sliced avocado and sour cream sauce.
How to serve this chicken?
- Make Burrito Bowls – Top cilantro lime rice with diced meat, corn, pico, black beans, shredded cheddar, avocado, jalapeños, cilantro and sour cream.
- Lettuce wraps – Skip rice and assemble everything in lettuce cups.
- Salad – Toss chopped lettuce, red onion, meat, tomato, corn, chili peppers and black beans with a drizzle of sour cream sauce.
- Quesadillas – Make quesadillas with Mexican cheese blend, some pico de gallo and jalapeños.
- Sandwich – Replace flour tortillas with sandwich bread to make grilled cheese sandwich.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS?
This is a small batch recipe which feeds a family of 2 to 3. But, if you have leftovers or making a double batch, then refrigerate leftovers in an air tight container for up to 4 days.
HOW TO FREEZE?
Prepare the recipe as described, and then cool. Freeze whole or chop and store freezer safe bags for up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in the fridge before using.
To reheat in air fryer – Place room temperature cooked chicken in a pre heated 375 degree air fryer and cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until heated through. Colder meat might take an additional minute.
To reheat in microwave – Place in a microwave safe plate and cook until heated through.
What is a good side dish?
More Air fryer Chicken Recipes to try-
- Teriyaki Chicken in Air fryer
- Lemon Pepper Wings recipe
- Air Fryer Meatballs
- Air Fried Buffalo Wings
- Air Fryer Burger
- Garlic Parmesan Wings
- Crispy Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken Nuggets <—- popular recipe
- 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs (3/4th to 1 pound)
- 1 recipe chicken taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large lime, juiced
- 6 corn tortillas, warmed
- Pico de gallo
- Avocado, sliced or chopped
- Sour cream (refer notes)
- Jalapenos, sliced
Air Fry Chicken
1. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and then toss with taco seasoning, vegetable oil and lime juice, until thoroughly combined. Let marinade for about 30 minutes (or refrigerate for 2-3 hours).
2. Pre heat air fryer to 400°F for 11 minutes. When hot, place chicken thighs, smooth side down into the air fryer basket and cook.
3. Flip chicken over after about 6 minutes, cook for remaining time, until cooked through.
4. Let chicken rest for a few minutes and then chop them into small pieces.
1. Warm tortillas in microwave for a few seconds, to soften.
2. Scoop about 1/3 cup chicken into each tortilla, top with pico de gallo, avocado a drizzle of sour cream (refer notes) and more jalapeños.
Sour cream - Mix sour cream with some lime juice, salt and a dash of water.
The recipe is best with thighs. They are more fattier and almost impossible to overcook.
Taco seasoning – We highly recommend our homemade seasoning recipe. If using store bought seasoning, then use about 1 to 2 tablespoons (depends on the salt).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 188Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 178mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 15g
I am not a certified dietician or nutritionist. The information is a product of online calculator such as Nutrifox.com, although Kitchen at Hoskins attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the nutritional information in any recipe. Furthermore, different online calculators provide different results depending on their fact algorithms. Under no circumstances will Kitchen at Hoskins be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the nutritional information. To obtain the most accurate nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health and ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com.