Spicy Shrimp Sandwich with Avocado is made with flavorful skillet cooked Mexican shrimp, zesty sriracha mayo, mashed avocado along with all the sandwich fix-ins - Ready in under 30 minutes!
Shrimp Sandwich with Avocado
Not a boring sandwich! If you love spicy Mexican flavors, then look no further than this recipe. A quick skillet cooked prawn, spicy sriracha mayonnaise paired with creamy avocado. It's packed with flavor and has become a huge hit every time. They are sure a family favorite.
When it comes to prawn sandwiches, there is usually the po' boy (which is made with battered prawns, lettuce and tomatoes served on a french roll along with a remoulade sauce) or the salad (cooked prawns mixed with mayonnaise, seasonings and served on a hoagie roll with lettuce).
This is a bit different. We take all the components of a shrimp taco and made into a sandwich. How fun is that? It is now portable and easy to eat on the go.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS SANDWICH?
- Made in under 30 minutes if you have the seafood thawed.
- Packed with flavor - Sriracha, chili powder, garlic, black pepper, avocado, tomato, lime, this dish is spicy and zesty.
- Can be made ahead - Cooked prawns and sriracha mayo can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.
- Versatile to eat for lunch. dinner or take to work.
BEST SHRIMP TO USE?
We like to frozen ones from Costco with the shells and tails removed. It is always stocked in the freezer and thaws in minutes for a quick meal.
How to defrost?
Place them in a large bowl and filled with cold or room temperature water. It will be thawed in about 10 minutes (will depend on the quantity used). Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Filling - An easy yet tasty skillet cooked prawns that is chockfull of flavor.
- Sriracha mayo - Spicy, garlicky, tangy and creamy sauce.
- Burger buns - Toasted goes a long way.
- Other fix ins - Sliced avocado, tomato and lettuce.
Smooth and creamy sauce which comes together in under 2 minutes is nothing short of flavor. It is creamy, spicy, tangy, salty and garlicky. It sure brings the whole sub together.
- Shrimp - We used a pound of 31 to 40 count.
- Burger Buns - Use any type of soft white bread instead.
- Standard fixins - Tomato, lettuce and avocado.
- Spices - Chili powder, garlic powder, fresh garlic and black pepper.
- Mayonnaise - Use regular or low fat.
- Sriracha - Use according to taste.
PRO TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Marinade if possible - Toss prawns with spices and place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. This helps them to get much more flavorful.
- Adjust sriracha based on your spice level.
- Don’t overcook. Cook just until it has curled into a C.
- If you are using a smaller pan, then cook in batches.
HOW TO MAKE?
- Cook - Toss prawns with spices and salt, cook in a non-stick skillet in two batches and transfer.
- Mix Spread - Stir mayo with sriracha, lime juice, grated garlic and salt.
- Toast buns - Spread a thin layer of butter on both the cut sides of burger buns and place them on a moderately hot skillet and cook until golden brown.
- Assemble - Spread sriracha mayo on both the cut sides of burger buns, fill with prawns, sliced avocado, tomato and lettuce.
HOW TO MAKE AHEAD?
Store cooked prawns and sriracha mayo in the refrigerator (in seperate containers) for up to 4 days. Bring seafood to room temperature before assembling sandwiches.
Frequently asked questions:
There are 641 calories in each sandwich.
The added tanginess of yogurt changes the taste of the sriracha sauce. Hence, we will highly recommend using only mayonnaise.
They can be made two to three hours ahead without avocado. Add freshly sliced avocado just before eating.
Spicy Shrimp Sandwich with Avocado
- 1 pound raw shrimp peeled, deveined and patted dry (31 to 40 count)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper powder
- ¼ plus ⅛ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil for cooking
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 large garlic clove grated
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 burger buns
- 2 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 2 to 3 medium avocados sliced
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- lettuce leaves as required
- Toss shrimp and all other ingredients (under spicy shrimp, except vegetable oil) together in a bowl and let marinade for about 30 minutes (if pressed for time, then continue right away).
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, place half the shrimp in a single layer, cook for 2 to 3 minutes, turn over and continue cooking for another minute or two, until full cooked but still tender. Transfer shrimp to a plate and continue cooking with remaining shrimp.
- Make Sriracha Mayo
Stir all sriracha mayo ingredients together in a bowl.
- Toast Buns- Spread a thin layer of butter on both the cut sides of burger buns and place them (buttered side down) on a moderately hot skillet and cook until golden brown (you don't need to toast other side).
- Assemble Sandwiches - Spread some sriracha mayo on both the cut sides of a bun and fill them with about 6 to 8 shrimps, followed by sliced avocado, tomato and lettuce.
- Repeat process to make remaining sandwiches.
Add sriracha to your likingTo thaw frozen shrimp – Place shrimp in a large bowl and fill the bowl with cold or room temperature water. Let it sit for about 10 minutes until thawed (the time will depend on the quantity of shrimp) and then drain and pat dry with paper towels. Don’t overcook shrimp. Cook just until shrimp is curled into a C.
Nutritional information is based on third party calculations, should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types, brands purchased, produce, the way ingredients are processed and more change the nutritional information in any recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Leave a Reply