Smooth, creamy and ridiculously easy baked clafoutis! Perfect for Mother’s day breakfast in bed or on a table and easy enough for kids to make yet elegant to impress mom.
Happy Early Mother’s day to all the wonderful moms!
(On a side note, that little clay heart was from my oldest, one Mother’s day, long, long ago…. ❤️❤️❤️)
Did I say easy?
A great recipe for kids (young and young at heart) to whip up on Mother’s day or any day (kids might need an adult to help them with the hot oven, calling all dads….)
Let’s talk clafoutis – creamy baked custard but can be heavy at times. I was shooting for a recipe that is accessible for kids and yielded a light, creamy texture yet could be cut into neat slices. Few tries later…PERFECTION!!!
What do you add into that creamy perfection? Traditional cherries? Hmmm…..
– To make cardamom powder – grind whole cardamoms in a dry spice grinder, until finely ground. Freeze leftover cardamom powder in a sealed container or zip lock bag.
– Clafoutis will puff up while baking and then deflate later.
This dish is great for breakfast / brunch any day of the year. Also, can be served with whipped cream for dessert.
1/2 sliced peeled mango (ripe but firm), cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
1/2 cup to 1 cup fresh raspberries
confectioners sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch oven safe pan or skillet with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
2. Combine all ingredients (except fruit and confectioners sugar) in a blender, blend for 1 minute on high. Pour into the prepared pan, gently place mango slices and raspberries on top.
3. Place pan in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 30 -35 minutes, until a tooth pick inserted into the clafoutis comes clean (make sure to check around the edges of the mango slices, since that takes the longest to cook).
4. Place pan on a wire rack to cool.
5. Dust clafoutis with confectioners sugar and serve warm to room temperature.
To make mini clafoutis,
Make clafoutis batter and pour into greased mini baking dishes (4 or 6, depending on size) and top with mango slices and raspberries. Do not fill more than half way. Place pan on a baking sheet and bake in a pre heated 400 degree oven for 15-25 minutes (depending on size), until a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes clean.