Classic fried rice, except made even better with hot dogs and then wrapped in an egg omelette to make a fun, interesting presentation!!!! This hot dog fried rice is great for an easy dinner or school lunch box.
I’ve always adored the idea of Thai street vendors wrapping cooked rice noodles in an omelette to serve their customers or Japanese mothers serving ketchup fried rice wrapped in an omelette for their little ones. Recently, we enjoyed spam fried rice served in an omelette at a Korean restaurant and my kids thought that was the best thing ever.
Clearly, this idea has been around a long time.
It takes a boring fried rice look more interesting. Ain’t fun??
This is my new kinda comfort food.
When you think of it, instead of scrambling eggs into the fried rice, its made into a omelette and served on the outside. Brilliant!!!!
This fried rice can be made with chicken or shrimp (instead of hot dogs) and any veggies that you have on hand. Refer notes for instructions.
To pack for school lunch, I spoon fried rice in the middle of the omelette and wrap all edges over to make a neat square or rectangle (depending on the shape of the lunch box) and place seam side down in the box.
Keeping track of all the fried rice recipes around here?
Hot Dog Fried Rice with Omelette
Hot dog fried rice:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup green peas, thawed if frozen
- 1 carrot (small), coarsely grated or finely chopped
- 1 hot dog, slit in half and sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper powder (more if required)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
To make hot dog fried rice,
- Stir together soy sauce, fish sauce and sesame oil in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to a large skillet and place over high heat.
- When hot, add garlic and stir fry for few seconds (don’t let get golden) and then add green peas, carrot and hot dogs. Cook (stirring occasionally) for about 2 minutes until vegetables are cooked.
- Stir in green onions, rice, pepper powder and sauce. Stir fry for about 1-2 minute until sauce is absorbed into the rice and rice is heated through.
- Remove pan from heat.
To make omelette:
- Place a medium non-stick skillet with 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (spreading the oil to coat the bottom of the skillet) over high heat.
- Add half the beaten egg, swirl pan around for the egg to coat the bottom of the skillet. Cook until the bottom is golden brown and carefully remove onto a serving plate with a rubber spatula. Place about half the fried rice over half the omelette, fold the other half over and serve immediately.
- Repeat process to make the remaining omelette.