These baked mangoes are delicious as is, with vanilla ice cream / whipped cream for dessert or sweetened greek yogurt for breakfast. A delicious combination of crispy nuts, chewy coconut and oats combined with honey and coconut oil paired along with sweet, soft mango is REALLY really GOOD.
Juicy ripe mangoes topped with Honeyed oat-nut streusel.
Hellllo mango season!
Summer is on its way and all those tired from shoveling snow deserve easy summer recipes!
What is a baked mango?
With inspiration from baked apples, it is mango halves topped with a mixture of oats, nuts, coconut and honey and then baked in an oven until it has become soft and the topping is brown.
This recipe was shared here, now updated with better and detailed pictures.
How to make mango baked recipe?
1.Stir oats, nuts, coconut, honey and coconut oil together in a small bowl, until well combined.
2. Cut a mango into halves around the seed (discard seed) and score each mango halve in a criss cross pattern, with a sharp knife without cutting the skin.
3. Place cut mango halves in a baking pan.
4. Top with the prepared oat honey streusel.
5. Bake until golden brown.
Tips and tricks in making the best baked mango in the oven:
Mango – Select a ripe, yet firm mango.
Oats – Old fashioned, quick cooking oats will work
Nuts– You can choose to use any nuts that you have on hand. I used a mixture of cashews and pistachios. Sliced almonds will work well. Any one nut is good as well.
Coconut – Sweetened shredded coconut works great for this recipe. However unsweetened shredded coconut, desiccated coconut or freshly grated coconut can be substituted, but add a tablespoon of sugar to the mix.
Baked Pears with Walnut Oat Crumble <— Another baked fruit winner!
Mango Kulfi <—-The most delicious variation of kulfi
Baked Mangoes with Honey Nut Streusel
- 2 large mango, ripe but firm
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, refer notes for substitution
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (cashews / almonds / pistachios or a mixed combination)
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
To serve (optional)
- vanilla ice cream
- Greek yogurt sweetened with honey
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Have a rectangular baking pan ready.
- Cut each mango into two halves (save seed for snacking).
- Using a sharp knife, gently score mangoes in a criss cross pattern about 3/4th way into the flesh(without cutting through the skin). Place in the baking pan. (Why do we score mangoes? It helps in the honey seeping into the mango when baked and forms a bed for the streusel to stay in place)
- In a small bowl, combine shredded coconut, chopped nuts, oats, honey, melted coconut oil and salt, until well mixed. Divide mixture evenly over the mango halves ( Press lightly for the mixture to stay intact).
- Place baking pan in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until deep golden on top. Place pan on a wire rack to cool.
- For snack – Serve mango cups warm or room temperature with whipped cream or plain.For breakfast – Serve mango cups warm or room temperature with greek yogurt sweetened with honey. For dessert – Serve mango cups warm or room temperature with vanilla ice cream.
How to eat baked mango?
- Using a spoon, simply scoop some of the flesh along with the topping. Discard skin.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.