These Instant pot BBQ pulled chicken sandwiches are loaded with tender, succulent pulled chicken and topped off with a cabbage & sweet potato slaw.
Presenting another instant pot glory!! This time it is BOLD AND SPICY, made spicier with some jalapenos.
You seriously need to try these Instant pot BBQ pulled chicken sandwiches. ‘Tis epic.
Tender chicken cooked almost in an instant (I just had to get it out 😀) in the most amazing bold & spicy sauce. Many find it hard to believe that it’s chicken..looks and tastes almost like pulled pork.
So simple for a weeknight meal yet impressive for guests. I’d set the buns, cooked bbq pulled chicken and slaw separately and let the guests assemble their own. Now, that’s the beginning of a great party!
Another easy, healthier chicken sandwich —> Baked Chicken Burger with Sneaky Veggies
This chicken is soooo good that my children ( mostly the biggest, tallest 40+ kid) could not stop snacking. The best part is licking off that sauce sticking to your fingertips. YUMMMMM
Here is how this goes down –
- Sear chicken thighs on one side. Turn over. Add sliced onion, jalapeños, garlic and sauce.
- Remove chicken and shred. Reduce sauce into a thick glaze and toss shredded chicken in it.
Done. And done.
My love for Instant pot gets stronger every day!!! Click here for more Instant Pot Recipes
Check out this hugely popular Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice
I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs and I highly recommend not subbing with chicken breasts. You need the dark meat to pull of an epic pulled chicken.
A quick note on the slaw – An almost traditional slaw recipe, but I subbed grated raw sweet potatoes instead of carrots ( I’m so creative…he he).
Have leftover bbq sauce? Check out this 5-Ingredient BBQ Ramen Noodles for a quick kid approved lunch recipe
Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs ( 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 small onion (preferably red), sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3-4 slices jalapenos pepper (about 1/4 small), increase or decrease based on your preference
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Cabbage & sweet potato slaw
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- a small pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 1/4 cup coarsely grated raw sweet potato (skin peeled off)
- 1/8 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 4-5 burger buns
Make Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken
- Set Instant pot on saute mode. Once hot, add vegetable oil. Place chicken in a single layer and let cook for about 2 minutes and then turn over. Press cancel. Evenly sprinkle sliced onions, garlic and sliced jalapeños on top. Drizzle barbecue sauce evenly over the chicken. Close Instant pot, lock (making sure the valve is set to seal), set for 5 minutes in manual mode.
- When cooking is done, let it stay in warm for 6 minutes. Open lid, press saute again, remove only chicken with the help of tongs and place on a plate. Let sauce come to a boil and reduce to a very thick glaze, about 7-10 minutes (depending on the size of your pot). Meanwhile, shred chicken with 2 forks. Add shredded chicken back to the pot and toss around to coat evenly. Press cancel and unplug pot.
Cabbage & sweet potato slaw
- Stir together mayonnaise, honey, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Toss with cabbage, sweet potato and red onion, until evenly coated. Store slaw in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours. If needed to make ahead, then store dressing and sliced vegetables separately, mix before serving.
- Place pulled chicken on burger buns and top with some coleslaw. Serve immediately.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.