Spicy Chickpea Lettuce Wraps are filled with Mexican Chickpeas, corn, avocado, salsa, cheese, sour cream, jalapeños and finished off with a squeeze of lime. These are more of a vegetarian lettuce tacos that are healthy, filling and customizable.
It all began with this AMAZING Chickpea Tacos.
- Quick <— uses canned garbanzo beans
- Easy <— about 5-7 minutes on the stovetop
- Great vegetarian option
- So flavorful
I also made them into Chickpea Taco Meal Prep Bowls and it is such a winner every time.
Just look at these ingredients – So fresh. So delicious. So good for you.
Heres what goes into my CHICKPEA LETTUCE WRAPS-
- Fresh, crisp lettuce cups
- Spicy chickpea
- Sweet corn
- Sour cream
- A squeeze of lime
I told ya, all good things in here!
How to make Vegetarian taco lettuce wraps?
Step-1: Make Mexican chickpeas, cool.
Step-2: Assemble all other ingredients.
Step-3: Load up a lettuce wrap and eat.
Done and DONE.
More Spicy – Add some chopped jalapeños along with onion and garlic when making the chickpeas and increase the cayenne pepper. Also, use a spicy salsa.
Less Spicy – Skip the cayenne and use a mild salsa.
Use as much or as little corn / avocado / cheese / sour cream / salsa / jalapeños
Is it chickpeas or garbanzo beans?
Both chickpeas and garbanzo beans refer to the same beans and both names are used interchangeably. So, these can also be called Garbanzo Bean Lettuce Wraps.
These spicy vegetarian lettuce wraps use canned chickpeas, which makes it a great great weeknight dinner idea when you are running short of time yet want to eat healthy.
Not a fan of lettuce wraps? Just chop up lettuce and make into a salad instead —> A spicy vegetarian lettuce taco for the win!
Keeping track of all the recipes with chickpeas?
Chickpea Taco Lettuce wraps
- 1 teaspoon each chili powder, coriander powder and paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon each cumin powder, dried oregano and salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder, or more if you like it spicy
- 2 tablepsoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 x 15.5 ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 6 to 8 lettuce leaves ( Iceberg, Romaine or Iceberg)
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced or chopped
- 3/4 cup salsa, store bought or homemade
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/2 cup cooked corn
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 chopped cilantro
- sliced jalapenos, as required
Make spice mixture
- Stir all spice mixture ingredients together in a small bowl.
Make Taco Chickpeas
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Saute onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add chickpeas and spice mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes, until spices are toasted well.
- Take off heat and stir in lime juice and cilantro.
Assemble Chickpea Taco Lettuce Wraps
- Spoon few tablespoons of the taco chickpeas into each lettuce cups and top with some avocado, salsa, cheddar, corn, sour cream, cilantro and jalapeños slices (as much as you’d like).
To serve as a salad
- Tear lettuce into bite sized pieces and toss everything together.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.