Quick and easy Mexican chickpeas for tacos, salads, lettuce wraps, nachos or burrito bowl. This all purpose vegetarian taco filling made with canned chickpeas is healthy, easy, versatile and fabulous for meal prep.
This Mexican chickpeas has been one of our go-to family favorite for many years.
It is made with
- Canned chickpeas
- Pantry spices
- Quick and easy
- Great for meal prep
A few delicious ideas with this Mexican Chickpeas:
This vegetarian taco filling is a great option when you are pressed for time or just not in the mood to whip up a family dinner (more easy weeknight dinner ideas ). It is almost as easy as opening a can of chickpeas.
How to make chickpeas for tacos?
- Heat vegetable oil in a non-stick skillet. Saute chopped onion and garlic for couple of minutes.
2. Add drained, rinsed and patted dry chickpeas and spices.
3. Stir over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, until spices are toasted.
4. Turn off stove and add chopped cilantro and lime juice.
5. Stir until combined well.
Done and DONE.
Wasn’t that easy?
Now this taco chickpeas (which is a great vegetarian taco filling) can be made into tacos, salads, nachos or burrito bowls.
Tips and tricks in making chickpea taco meat:
Chickpeas – Drain and rinse canned chickpeas under running water. Pat dry in a clean kitchen towel before using.
Oil- It might look like that the amount of oil is bit too much, but it really helps in toasting the spices and brining the dish together.
Make it spicier – Add more cayenne pepper powder and chopped jalapeno pepper along with onion and garlic.
Make it less spicy – Decrease cayenne or omit.
Keeping track of all the Mexican recipes here?
More recipes using canned chickpeas like this chickpeas for tacos:
Mexican Chickpeas for Tacos, Salads, Nachos or Burrito Bowls
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 – 15.5 ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
Make spice mixture
- Stir all spice mixture ingredients together in a small bowl.
Make Mexican Chickpeas
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add chickpeas and spice mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes, until spices are toasted well.
- Take off heat and stir in lime juice and cilantro.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.