Easy Mexican Chickpeas for tacos, salads, lettuce wraps, nachos or burrito bowl – An all purpose vegetarian taco filling made with canned chickpeas is healthy, versatile and delicious – Perfect vegetarian taco Tuesday recipe!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases through our affiliate link. For more information read our Non-Disclosure Agreement.
This Mexican chickpeas has been one of our go-to family favorite for many years. This vegetarian taco filling is a great option when you are pressed for time or just not in the mood to whip up a family dinner (more easy weeknight dinner ideas ). It is almost as easy as opening a can of chickpeas.
Amanda writes “This saved my dinner I was going to make stuffed peppers with a black bean quinoa chili, but I was out of quinoa. Looking for inspiration and I found this! So good in peppers with Mexican cheese”
Heather writes “Sooo good! Used it as a taco side! We loved it!”
Amy writes “I didn’t have cilantro or lime juice to add, but these were still AMAZING. I can only imagine how extra delicious they’ll be once I have those two finishing touches!”
Chelle E writes “This was an absolute hit. I served it with guacamole & pico de gallo. I will absolutely make this again”
Why are you going to love this recipe?
- Made using canned chickpeas
- Mostly pantry ingredients
- Quick and easy
- Great for meal prep
- Healthy and Protein-rich
Packed with flavor
A flavorful blend of spices like coriander, chili, paprika, cumin, oregano and cayenne adds wonderful flavor without being too spicy. Garlic, lime juice and cilantro adds freshness and enhances the taste.
How to serve?
- Make Chickpea Burrito Bowl with white or brown rice, pico de gallo, avocado, cooked corn, cheese and cilantro.
- Lettuce wraps with butter lettuce cups, salsa or pico de gallo, avocado, cheddar, corn and jalapeños and sour cream.
- Make Chickpea Tacos with all the fix-ins.
- Garbanzo bean Nachos with tortilla chips topped with this filling and Mexican blend cheese, baked and top with guacamole.
Pro Tips for Success
Chickpeas – Drain and rinse canned chickpeas under running water. Pat dry in a clean kitchen towel before using.
Oil- It might look like that the amount of oil is bit too much, but it really helps in toasting the spices and brining the dish together.
Make it spicier – Add more cayenne pepper powder and chopped jalapeno pepper along with onion and garlic.
Make it less spicy – Decrease cayenne or omit.
How to make chickpeas for tacos?
- Drain, rinse garbanzo beans and pat dry.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a non stick skillet. Saute chopped onion and garlic for about 2 minutes. Add garbanzo beans, spices and stir fry oven medium heat for about 3 to 4 minutes or spices are toasted.
- Take off heat and mix in cilantro and lime juice.
How to store?
Leftovers (or make a double batch) can be refrigerated for up to 5 days in a air tight container.
Can this be frozen?
Sure can! Portion them in quart size zip lock bags and freeze for up to a month. Simply thaw overnight in the refrigerator and microwave until heated through.
More Chickpea recipes to try
- Air Fryer Chickpeas
- Chickpea and Spinach Curry
- Creamy Chickpea Salad
- Chocolate Hummus
- Baked Beet Falafel
- Butter Chickpeas (Vegetarian Butter chicken)
Mexican Chickpeas for Tacos, Salads, Nachos or Burrito Bowls
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 – 15.5 ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
Make spice mixture
- Stir all spice mixture ingredients together in a small bowl.
Make Mexican Chickpeas
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add chickpeas and spice mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes, until spices are toasted well.
- Take off heat and stir in lime juice and cilantro.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com.