Indian Roasted Chickpeas - Spicy, tangy, crispy, flavor packed and most importantly tastes like Tandoori Chicken!!! These spicy roasted chickpeas are great as a snack, appetizer, made into wraps or paired with your favorite Indian meal.
Meet your new favorite way to enjoy Chickpeas. It's tasty, mega flavorful, spicy, and addictive, just like this roasted makhana.
Chickpeas are one of my favorite pantry staples. I usually pick up a huge case of canned chickpeas from Costco, so it is always stocked and ready to go. Chickpeas are packed with protein, fiber, rich nutrients and are extremely versatile.
These Indian Roasted Chickpeas are
- Chock full of flavor
Most importantly..... it tastes like Tandoori Chicken!!!!
Tandoori chicken is delicious as is or paired with Cashew Mint Chutney. The best part is that the leftovers can be made into delicious Tandoori Chicken Sandwiches or Tandoori Chicken Naanwich.
The ingredients might look like a long laundry list but if you are familiar with cooking Indian food then everything (almost) might be in your pantry already.
Chickpeas : Canned chickpeas to the rescue. No soaking. No pressure cooking. Open up a can and you are good to go. Have more cans? Try our 4-Ingredient Salsa Chickpeas for an easy weeknight meal served over white rice.
Greek yogurt : Yogurt is a key ingredient in making tandoori chicken marination, since it helps in the tenderizing process. As we not looking for any tenderizing in the indian spicy roasted chickpeas, the yogurt helps in binding the ingredients, stays true to the tandoori flavor and forms a crust around each chickpea. I love the thick greek yogurt. If you cannot find it then you could totally use thick, plain yogurt.
Ginger and Garlic - If you know Indian cooking then you probably know that ginger and garlic are like salt and pepper. It contributes flavor and digestive properties.
Spices - The basics - Red chili powder and coriander powder. No, I did not forget turmeric! Turmeric is avoided in tandoori chicken since we are going for that bright orange artificial color:)
Kasoori methi - It is dried fenugreek leaves. It is an essential part of a tandoori chicken marinade. It is available in all Indian grocery stores, some Asian stores or Amazon.
Lemon juice - A fresh squeeze at the end brings freshness and tanginess.
How to make spicy chickpeas?
Drain a can of chickpeas, rinse well and pat dry.
Stir chickpeas, ginger, garlic, greek yogurt, vegetable oil, coriander powder, chili powder, salt and kasoori methi. Bake at 400 degrees F for about 40 mins, until toasted.
Step-5: As soon as it comes out of the oven, stir in lemon juice, mix well and spread into a single layer to cool completely.
Though the ingredient list is long, it is very easy process.
- Just as a snack
- Make double or triple batch (roast in a sheet pan) and serve as a healthy appetizer for your next party
- Game day munchie
- Toss over salads for a healthy, flavorful, spicy addition
- Make into wraps with some lettuce, yogurt/mayo, sliced red onion, tomato, jalapeño slices, chopped cilantro and crumbled paneer.
You can store for several hours at room temperature or refrigerated for up to 4 days ( the chickpeas looses its crispiness when refrigerated, but no compromise in taste). Warm cold chickpeas in the microwave before eating.
Roasted Chickpeas are an excellent source of protein, fiber, iron, calcium, zinc and potassium. When roasted, chickpeas get crispy and nutty making them a great healthy snack.
A serving of beans and lentils consumed everyday helps in reducing bad cholesterol, helps in weightloss
How to make Spicy Roasted Chickpeas taste like Tandoori Chicken?
- 1 15 ounce can Chickpeas (drained, rinsed and patted dry)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon greek yogurt ( or plain thick yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon kasoori methi (optional), refer notes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper powder (or Indian chili powder)
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- ¼ teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 small pinch orange food color
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees F or 205 degrees C. Have a 9-inch cast iron pan or medium (oven safe) non-stick skillet or a greased baking sheet ready.
- Add all ingredients (except lemon juice) into the skillet or pan, stir well until evenly combined (make sure all the yogurt is thoroughly combined and well distributed). Spread them evenly in a single layer.
- Place pan in the middle rack of the oven and bake for about 40 minutes, until crisp. (While the beans are baking, have one teaspoon of lemon juice ready).
- Remove skillet or pan from the oven and place on a wire rack and immediately add the lemon juice, stir well with a spoon to coat all beans with the juice. Spread them in a single layer again and let cool.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature
Nutritional information is based on third party calculations, should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types, brands purchased, produce, the way ingredients are processed and more change the nutritional information in any recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Kelly Lynns Sweets and Treats
I bet these are amazing! I love roasted chickpeas....they are such a great snack. I will need to try the tandoori flavor! YUM!