Best vegetarian chickpea tacos! Quick and easy Mexican chickpeas with a special blend of spices topped with an amazing cilantro lime sauce, avocado, lettuce, more cilantro and jalapeños. These garbanzo bean tacos are perfect for weeknight dinners and might soon become a family favorite.
If you missed my previous post on an all purpose Mexican Chickpeas that is great on tacos, salads, lettuce wraps, nachos or burrito bowls, then I highly urge you to check it out.
It is amazing made into these
And now some delicious Chickpea Tacos with the most amazing cilantro jalapeño sauce, lettuce, avocado, cilantro and more jalapeños. YUMMMM!
Why do I think that these are gonna be your new favorite vegetarian taco recipe?
- Weeknight dinner
- Customizable with your favorite toppings
Team players in these Chickpea tacos:
One batch Mexican chickpeas (or double for a family) – All purpose vegetarian taco filling that is great for tacos, salads, lettuce wraps, nachos or burrito bowl.
Cilantro Lime Sauce – if you are looking for a healthier option, then you could replace half the sour cream with yogurt. Tastes a touch less amazing:)
Lettuce – Any crisp lettuce Iceberg, romaine or butter lettuce
Avocado – What taco is complete without creamy, buttery avocado?
Cilantro – Adds some brightness to the dish
Jalapeños – When it comes to tacos, I say load up of jalapeños
Additional (optional) topping ingredients:
Corn – Grilled corn of the cob or thawed frozen corn works.
Pico de Gallo – Adds tanginess and more spiciness
Shredded cheese – Cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
How to make the most amazing Cilantro lime sauce?
Blend fresh cilantro, jalapeño (deseed if you like less spicy), garlic, lime juice, sour cream, salt and a dash of water.
Done and DONE.
This cilantro sauce elevates these chickpea tacos from ordinary to amazing.
How to assemble chickpea tacos?
- Char corn tortillas – Turn your gas burner to medium-low and using tongs, place the tortillas one at a time directly over the flame. As soon as they start to brown, give them a quick flip to color the other side and then pull them off. Alternatively, you can cook tortillas on a cast iron skillet. Place tortilla in a cast iron skillet, warmed over medium-high heat, for about 15 to 30 seconds on each side. You want to look few browned or darkened spots on both sides.
2. Mash some ripe avocado on a warm tortilla. You go with mashed or chopped avocado. I choose to go with a first one, since it offers a squishy bed for all chickpeas to be nestled on.
3. Top with Mexican chickpeas
4. A healthy drizzle of the cilantro lime sauce
5. Top with lettuce, cilantro and sliced jalapeños
6. Wrap and enjoy
My family loves Mexican recipes and we can’t get enough of them. Some of our favorites include – Mexican Spiced Chicken for Tacos, Burritos, Quesadillas or Salads, Spicy Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice with Black Beans and Corn , Chicken Burrito Bowl, Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice or this popular Homemade Chicken Taco Seasoning.
Keeping track of all the chickpea recipes around here?
How to meal prep this vegetarian taco recipe for the week?
Make Mexican chickpeas (double or triple the batch based on your need. Just use a larger non-stick skillet), cool and refrigerate.
Make cilantro lime sauce (again double or triple the batch) and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Char tortillas just before eating and top with avocado, lettuce, cilantro and jalapeños.
Love more spicy?
Increase cayenne pepper powder in the Mexican chickpeas.
Add more jalapeño in the cilantro jalapeño sauce.
Finally finish with more freshly sliced jalapeños.
Wanna tone down the heat?
Omit cayenne pepper completely in the Mexican chickpeas.
Deseed jalapeño before making the sauce or use less.
Use less deseeded jalapeños to finish.
More delicious taco recipes like this garbanzo bean tacos:
Chickpea Tacos with Cilantro Lime Sauce
Cilantro lime Sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup lightly packed cilantro
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 small jalapeño (deseeded if you like it less spicy)
- 2 garlic cloves (small to medium)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- 1 small avocado, chopped or mashed
- chopped lettuce
- chopped cilantro
- sliced jalapeños
- 4 corn tortillas
Make cilantro lime sauce
- Add all ingredients into a small food processor or blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Turn your gas burner to medium-low and using tongs, place the tortillas one at a time directly over the flame. As soon as they start to brown, give them a quick flip to color the other side and then pull them off. Alternatively, you can cook tortillas on a cast iron skillet. Place tortilla in a cast iron skillet, warmed over medium-high heat, for about 15 to 30 seconds on each side. You want to look few browned or darkened spots on both sides. Keep them warm wrapped in a clean kitchen towel.
- Add some mashed or avocado, Mexican chickpeas, chopped lettuce, additional cilantro and sliced jalapeños. (I choose to go with mashed avocado since it offers a squishy bed for all chickpeas to be nestled on)
Cilantro jalapeño sauce is inspired and slightly modified from Gimmedelicious.com
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.