Healthy Oatmeal Smoothie tastes like a chocolate milkshake - It is sweet, creamy, decadent, filling and delicious.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases through our affiliate link. For more information read our Non-Disclosure Agreement.
We love smoothies for breakfast every morning. It is hearty, filling, healthy and are perfect on-the-go. This recipe has been a favorite around here. It is made using healthy ingredients but also tastes like a decadent milkshake.
This homemade recipe makes just enough for one serving, making it perfect portion size for breakfast or snack. With only a few simple ingredients this shake comes together quickly. It is also made without peanut butter or yogurt. Perfect for hectic mornings when you are running out the door.
Why You'll Love This Recipe?
- Tastes amazing - It's like dessert in a glass.
- Filling - Blended oats along with banana is definitely more hearty and filling until lunch time.
- Quick and easy - Just add everything to your blender and voila. It's perfect for busy mornings.
- Thick and creamy - Blended oatmeal with fruit makes it thick and creamy.
- Healthy - It boasts fiber, protein, calcium, vitamins and minerals of a healthy drink.
Can You Put Raw Oats In A Smoothie?
Yes, adding rolled oats to your drink is perfectly safe and gives the drink a thick and creamy texture. It also adds health benefits particularly soluble fiber, leaving you full and satisfied all morning.
Best Oats for Smoothie?
As for what type of oats to use, you can use any kind you have on hand since it is ground in the blender. We recommend old fashioned, rolled oats or quick oats. We do not recommend steel cut variety as it will be harder to blend and is more difficult to digest.
With just a few basic ingredients you can make a healthy and delicious milkshake.
- Oatmeal - Rolled oats and old fashioned oats work best.
- Banana - Adding a very ripe fruit adds natural sweetness and taste.
- Milk - We used regular whole milk.
- Cocoa powder - We used Hershey's 100% cocoa.
- Honey - For sweetness
- Vanilla extract - Elevates it to taste like a dessert shake.
- Blenders to use – A high speed blender like Vitamix or NutriBullet is great for milkshakes. Nutri bullet was perfect to make this single serve recipe.
- Oats - Use rolled, old fashioned or quick cooking. Stay away from steel cut.
- Dairy free - Use almond milk or any non dairy milk to make it dairy free.
- Fresh or frozen banana? - We used fresh ones since blending oatmeal adds enough thickness and creaminess. However, if you'd like a very thick milkshake then use frozen fruit.
- Honey - The amount of honey depends on the sweetness of the fruit and your taste.
How to Make?
Place all you ingredients into a powered blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and serve.
How to Store?
Unlike other drink recipes that can be stored for couple of days, this recipe is best enjoyed fresh. The blended oats tends to absorb the liquid and make the drink much more thicker.
The best part of this recipe is that it makes just one serving so you will not have any leftovers. However, if you wish to then store leftovers in the fridge for a couple hours, if needed.
To Freeze - You can also freeze the blended drink in an ice cube tray or freezer-safe container.
More Chocolate Smoothie recipes to try:
- 1 cup milk
- 1 banana
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon + ½ tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon + ½ tablespoon honey
- A dash of vanilla extract
Blenders to use
1. Add all ingredients into a blender, blend and pour into a tall glass. Enjoy!
Blenders to use – A high speed blender like Vitamix or NutriBullet is great for milkshakes. Nutri bullet was perfect to make this single serve recipe.
Oats – Use rolled, old fashioned or quick cooking. Stay away from steel cut.
Honey – The amount of honey depends on the sweetness of the fruit and your taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 423Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 119mgCarbohydrates: 76gFiber: 8gSugar: 36gProtein: 15g
I am not a certified dietician or nutritionist. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This information is provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. This information is a product of online calculator such as Nutrifox.com.. Although Kitchen at Hoskins attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the nutritional information in any given recipe. Furthermore, different online calculators provide different results depending on their fact sources and algorithms. Under no circumstances will Kitchen at Hoskins be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the nutritional information. To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.