This Pina Colada Smoothie is a healthy twist on your favorite beach cocktail! Made using just 4 ingredients, it is a cool and refreshing way to begin a hot summer day.
What is pina colada? Originating in Puerto Rico, the name pina colada translates to "strained pineapple". It is a cocktail made with pineapple juice, coconut cream and light rum, and is served blitzed or shaken with ice in a glass.
This pina colada smoothie recipe is a healthier version of the cocktail, minus the alcohol. It is made using sweet fresh pineapple chunks instead of bottled juice, rich coconut milk and banana, to make it extra creamy.
When shopping for your pineapple, look for ones with healthy, vibrant green leaves with a greenish yellow exterior. They should have a slight give when squeezed and not be rock hard.
Ripe fruits typically have a sweet smell at the base and also feels heavy for its size, which often means that it’s more ripe and bursting with juice.
So if you are sitting by a beach or in your back yard, give this healthy pina colada smoothie a try! It balances sweetness and tang, has a creamy coconut edge, and packs a fruity punch, just like this strawberry lassi or mango milk.
Why you'll love this?
- Rich in vitamins and minerals
- Cool, creamy and refreshing
- Made using just 4 ingredients
- Freeze to make healthy popsicles
Scroll down to the recipe card below for full information on ingredients and amounts.
- Pineapple - Use a ripe, juicy pineapple for extra brightness . You can use frozen pineapple chunks but you might have to increase your sweetener.
- Banana - Use overripe bananas. They’re sweeter and creamier!
- Coconut milk - It is basically coconut flesh that is blended with water and strained to create a rich and creamy milk. Canned coconut milk is convenient and are always stocked in my pantry.
- Honey - It has a distinct flavor based on the type of plant from which the bees extracted their nectar. You can use maple syrup to make it vegan.
Pro tip: Pineapple does not continue to ripen and get any more sweeter, after being harvested from the plant, so it should be purchased as ripe as possible.
How to make
You can find full printable recipe below, but here is a quick overview of the procedure along with step-by-step photos.
- Add chopped pineapple chunks into a blender.
Pro tip: How to cut a pineapple into chunks?
Cut the top of your pineapple using a large chef’s knife and then slice off the other end. Stand the fruit upright and remove the skin, by slicing it off following the shape of the pineapple.
Slice it in half lengthwise, and then half lengthwise again, to get 4 quarters. Remove the core by cutting it out at an angle and slice to get pineapple chunks.
2 & 3. Add chopped banana, coconut milk and honey.
Tip: Shake your can of coconut milk before using. When you open a can, you'll find a rich solid white cream at the top, which will mix with the milky liquid underneath, with just a few vigorous shakes.
4. Blend until smooth, thick and creamy.
How to store?
It is best enjoyed as soon as it's made. However, it can be refrigerated in a tightly sealed mason jar for up to 2 days or I like to pour into popsicle molds and freeze overnight. It makes a guilt free treat on a hot day.
- Pineapple - Select very ripe, juicy yellow fruit for the best tasting drink (I like this helpful article from Jessicagavin.com on how to cut a pineapple).
- Banana -Use a heavily speckled banana for intense fruitiness.
Tip - I like to stock my freezer with very ripe pineapple chunks and banana to make this smoothie with a slushie-like texture!
It is usually made with light rum and coconut liqueur, however there are several versions that use dark or golden rum.
IBA definition has rum, cream of coconut and pineapple juice. Ice or frozen pineapple is often used to create the beloved slushie like texture, and some bartenders add lime juice for extra tang.
We like to buy several pineapples when we spot ripe ones in the store. Peel, core and chop them into chunks, place in a baking sheet, freeze for a few hours or until solid. Transfer them into freezer safe zip lock bag and freeze for up to 2 months.
More Smoothie Recipes
Pina Colada Smoothie
- Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.Tip: Shake your can of coconut milk before using. When you open a can, you'll find a rich solid white cream at the top, which will mix with the milky liquid underneath, with just a few vigorous shakes.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional information, based on third-party calculations, should be seen as estimates, not guarantees, as various factors like product types, brands, processing methods, and more can alter the nutritional content in recipes.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com