These Almond Flour Banana Muffins are made with almond butter! They are soft, tender, packed with walnuts, chocolate chips, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Flourless and made in less than 10 minutes without any mixer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases through our affiliate link. For more information read our Non-Disclosure Agreement.
Almond Flour Banana Muffins
Soft, tender, packed with banana flavor (almost like bread) not overly sweet and they taste amazing. Made with no butter, baking soda, yogurt or dairy, these are healthier, moist and tender.
WHAT MAKES THEM HEALTHY?
- Packed with good-for-you ingredients like Almond flour, Nut butter, Egg, Banana, Walnuts and dark Chocolate Chips.
- Dietary friendly - Gluten Free and Dairy Free.
- No fats like regular butter or vegetable oil.
There are several ingredients to ensure that these gluten free muffins are incredibly tender - Fruit, natural oils from ground and pureed almonds and brown sugar.
WHY ARE THESE THE BEST?
- Made with almond flour instead of refined flour
- Healthy and Nutritious
- Grain Free / Gluten Free / Dairy Free / Flourless
- No baking Soda / No Butter / No Yogurt
- Quick and Easy
- Packed with protein, vitamins, minerals and potassium
- Moist and tender
- Packed with chocolate chips and walnuts
- Not overly sweet
How to mash bananas?
Using a potato masher or the back of a large fork, press down on peeled fruit, until mashed and lump free.
How to measure almond flour?
Use a spoon to add flour to your measuring cup and then use the back of a knife to level off the cup. AVOID scooping flour directly into your measuring cup, or you’ll add too much.
- Flour – Super fine almond flour or meal may be used, but we like the blanched variety to make them soft and light.
- Banana - Use a very ripe fruit
- Almond Butter - Creamy almond butter or use peanut butter
- Sugar – Golden brown sugar
- Leavenings – Baking powder which gives rise and fluffiness
- Egg – Cold or room temperature. It adds structure and richness.
- Flavorings - Vanilla extract, Cinnamon and Salt
PRO TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Use super fine almond flour or meal. However, the latter will yield a much denser baked product since it contains the skin as well.
- Use over ripe bananas – Ugly over ripe fruits (dark yellow skin with lots of brown spots).
- Brown sugar – Apart from incredible caramel flavor, brown sugar also makes them soft and moist.
- Simply double the recipe to make 12 muffins.
- Use any other nut butter like peanut butter instead of almond butter.
- ½ cup mashed fruit is approximately 1 large ripe one.
- When measuring flour, you want to gently pack in the measuring cup and then level off with the back of a butter knife.
Optional Add-ins / Variations
- Nuts – Replace walnuts with toasted and chopped pecans or sliced almonds into the batter.
- Chocolate chips – Stir in bitter sweet or milk chocolate chips into the batter.
- Spice - mix in ground cinnamon.
- Use Peanut butter instead.
How to Make?
- Prep - Mash banana, chop walnuts, line cupcake pan with parchment paper and pre heat oven.
- Mix all dry ingredients - Whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together in a bowl.
- Mix all wet ingredients - Mix mashed banana, egg, brown sugar, nut butter and vanilla extract, until smooth. Stir in dry ingredients and then followed by chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.
- Finish and Bake - Divide batter into a pan lined with paper liners, top with more walnuts and chocolate chips. Bake at 350°F for about 25 minutes, until done.
How to Store?
This recipe makes a small batch of 6, so it gets over in just a day. If you are doubling the recipe, then leftovers can be stored in a covered container at room temperature for about 2 days. We recommend freezing them, if stored longer than that.
How to Freeze?
Place cooled cupcakes in a large zip lock bag, seal and freeze for up to a month. Thaw at room temperature overnight.
Muffins are fairly easy to make, ready in about 30 minutes and can be made with endless flavor profiles like Easy sweet potato muffins or Persimmon Muffins in fall season or Lemon Blueberry Muffins in summer.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This recipe makes 6 muffins! They take about 23 to 27 minutes. We recommend checking at the lower end of the cooking time. Insert a tooth pick in the middle, to make sure that it comes out clean and slightly golden on top.
There are 153 calories, 4 grams of protein, 2 grams of fiber and 12 grams sugar in one.
The recipe is created specifically for almond flour and has not been tested with other flours. So, we do not recommend using other flours.
With only 16 grams of carbohydrates in one, these are lesser in carbs when compared to the ones baked with regular flour.
The recipe has not been tested using flax egg to make it vegan.
More Almond Flour Muffin Recipes to try
- 1 cup + ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons super fine almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup mashed ripe banana (about one large)
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup packed golden brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (smooth) or use peanut butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Pre heat oven to 350°F and line a standard muffin pan with 6 paper liners.
2. Whisk together all dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
3. Add all wet ingredients into a larger bowl and whisk until smooth. Stir in the dry ingredients, followed by chopped walnuts and chocolate chips. Mix until evenly combined.
4. Divide batter into the prepared muffin pan (makes 6 muffins), top with additional chopped walnuts and chocolate chips.
5. Bake for 23 to 27 minutes or until done (a toothpick in the middle of muffin should come clean).
6. Place pan in a wire rack to cool completely.
Use over ripe bananas – Ugly over ripe bananas (dark yellow skin with lots of brown spots).
Use super fine almond flour and not almond meal. The latter will yield a much denser muffin since it contains the skin as well.
To freeze - Place cooled muffins in a large zip lock bag, seal and freeze for up to a month. Simply place desired number of muffins at room temperature overnight.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 153Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 144mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 4g
I am not a certified dietician or nutritionist. The information is a product of online calculator such as Nutrifox.com, although Kitchen at Hoskins attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the nutritional information in any recipe. Furthermore, different online calculators provide different results depending on their fact algorithms. Under no circumstances will Kitchen at Hoskins be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the nutritional information. To obtain the most accurate nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health and ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate.
This post was originally published on 07/12/2021 and later modified on 02/15/2022 to add more details. The recipe, photos and video remains the same.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com