Amazing Almond Flour Chocolate Muffins are rich, tender and delicious. Made with cocoa powder, melted chocolate and chocolate chips, these are a chocolate lover's dream.
Almond Flour Chocolate Muffins
Amazing Chocolate muffins are soft, tender, not overly sweet and decadent just like this Nutella muffins recipe. They’re entirely made from scratch like this chocolate lava cake, but only take a few minutes to mix together, and the flavor is better than anything you can get out of a pre-packaged pouch.
Why are going to love this recipe?
- Flavor - Seriously chocolatey goodness!! This recipe is made with cocoa powder, melted chocolate and studded with chocolate chips. This deep chocolate flavor when combined with almond flour, butter and vanilla extract, makes one decadent baked treat.
- Texture - They are almost like our fudgy chocolate cake made with almond flour with soft and tender crumb. We borrowed the technique from making brownies, where chocolate and butter are melted together and then combined with cocoa powder and flour for a supremely fudgy texture.
- Easy to make - Made with common pantry ingredients like semi sweet chocolate chips, cocoa powder, almond flour, butter, eggs, sugar and milk, it is easy to make when a craving strikes. It does not require a mixer or electric beater.
Are they healthy?
Though this recipe has healthy ingredients like almond flour, cocoa powder, milk and eggs, it also uses not-so-healthy ingredients like butter, white sugar and chocolate chips, making it a decadent treat.
Almond Flour - Super fine and not almond meal.
Cocoa powder - For best taste and texture, stick to dutch process cocoa powder. Since a huge flavor boost comes from the cocoa powder, choose a good one (we used Ghiradelli).
Chocolate chips - We recommend using a good quality chocolate chips like Ghiradelli semi sweet.
Milk - Use whole milk or reduced fat and not fat free. Almond milk may be used for a plant based substitute.
Butter - Unsalted butter, cold or room temperature. Reduce salt if using salted butter.
Pro Tips for Success
Use super fine variety and not almond meal.
Make it dairy free - Use coconut oil instead of butter and almond milk instead of regular milk.
Don't over bake - Best time to remove from oven? Insert a toothpick in the middle of a muffin, if it has some crumbs sticking to it then it's the perfect time to remove. Slightly under baking will give a wonderful fudgy texture.
How to make?
Prep - Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
Melt - Microwave ½ cup chocolate chips and butter, until almost melted. Remove from microwave and stir until full melted, let cool.
Mix dry ingredients - Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
Finish batter - Add eggs, milk and vanilla extract to the melted chocolate mixture and mix until smooth. Stir in dry ingredients and then chocolate chips.
Bake - Divide batter between the prepared muffin pan, sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top and bake at 350 degrees for 21 to 23 minutes.
How to store?
They can stored in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 3 days or refrigerated for up to a week (bring to room temperature before eating).
How to serve?
These are delicious as a snack, breakfast or brunch. We also love to top each muffin with some whipped cream and a strawberry for an easy yet delicious almond flour dessert.
Can they be frozen?
Sure can! Freeze in zip lock bags for up to 2 months. Thaw any number of muffins you want to room temperature for a few hours for a quick snack.
More delicious muffins made using Almond Flour-
Follow me on INSTAGRAM, TIK TOK, FACEBOOK or PINTEREST for more delicious recipes.
Triple Chocolate Muffins with Almond Flour
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips divided (plus more for topping)
- ½ cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cups + ¼ cup almond flour super fine
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar white
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon + ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Add ½ cup chocolate chips and butter into a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 40 to 60 seconds (stirring every 20 seconds), until almost melted (don't let it get very hot). Remove bowl from microwave and stir until fully melted. Let cool until you mix dry ingredients.
- Add all dry ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Into a large bowl, add milk, eggs and vanilla extract, stir well with a whisk, until well combined. Mix in the melted chocolate-butter mixture (make sure to get all the chocolate ----> good stuff!) . Add dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula, until thoroughly combined. Stir in remaining ½ cup chocolate chips.
- Divide batter into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle more chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 21 to 23 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes clean (if you like a fudgy texture, then remove muffins few minutes early).
- Place pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutritional information is based on third party calculations, should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types, brands purchased, produce, the way ingredients are processed and more change the nutritional information in any recipe.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com.
These Muffins are very good. I substituted 1/4 cup of the almond flour with coconut flour, and I crushed up some Lily’s brand dark chocolate. And I used almond milk. Very moist. I baked at 350 deg F with convection oven for 16 min.
I would totally use this recipe again!
Glad you liked it hun, have a wonderful week - Maria
How much vanilla extract is needed for this recipe? It's not listed under the wet ingredients. Thank you.
Hi Annemarie, You will need about 1/2 teaspoon and the recipe has been corrected. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, have a wonderful weekend - Maria