The BEST Italian Cream of Shrimp Soup to cozy up this winter! Amazingly comforting Tuscan soup is quick, easy and everyone will beg for seconds.
Tuscan shrimp and spinach soup —> HOLY YUM!
A warm bowl of this best shrimp soup recipe made with chicken broth, with a crusty piece of bread will warm your soul in this cold winter – Tender shrimp, fresh spinach, creamy soup, nutty parmesan with a hint of spice.
An amazing cream of shrimp soup
We made a sauce version to be served on pasta which is probably the best sauce ever. The Shrimp with sun dried tomato cream sauce is a creamy sauce made with chicken stock, sun dried tomatoes, spinach, parmesan and hint of red pepper flakes. This is great served over pasta or a big hunk of crusty bread <—- More like an Alfredo soup.
I couldn’t stop there. Well, I had to create an instant pot version (Click here for more instant pot recipes). Instant Pot Creamy Tuscan Chicken soup which is just an Instant pot version with chicken. So, you know this is GOOD STUFF!
This Creamy Shrimp soup is –
- Quick & Easy
- One pot
- Best ever
If I haven’t convinced you enough, just click here for the pin of this recipe to see all the RAVE REVIEWS.
Shrimp – Raw, peeled and deveined shrimp
Chicken stock – We used 33% reduced sodium
Dairy – Heavy cream and milk (or use half and half)
Fat – Butter and olive oil
Flavorings – Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes
Vegetables – Baby spinach, onion and garlic
Flour – All purpose flour
Cheese – Grated parmesan cheese
More Shrimp Recipes:
- Shrimp Alfredo Pasta
- Shrimp Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce
- Shrimp Fried Rice
- Garlic Butter Shrimp and Rice
- Shrimp Avocado Sandwich
How to make Italian shrimp soup recipe?
- Cook shrimp in olive oil, until just cooked and transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pan, saute onion, garlic and red pepper flakes in some butter.
- Add some all purpose flour and saute for few seconds until flour is toasted and raw flavor is gone (about 30 seconds)
- Add remaining ingredients (one can stock, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/4 cup milk, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1/4 cup parmesan, 2 handfuls spinach, salt and pepper).
- Let soup come to a boil, and cook for about two minutes–> soup will thicken slightly and spinach is wilted.
- Take off heat, stir in cooked shrimp along with any accumulated juices ( don’t wanna waste any flavor).
Shrimp : Use raw, cleaned shrimp with tails intact or remove tails.
How to defrost frozen shrimp – Place shrimp in a bowl of cold or room temperature water. Let it sit for about 10 minutes until thawed (the time will depend on the quantity of shrimp). Drain shrimp and pat dry with paper towels.
Chicken stock – We used 33% chicken stock. if you are using no sodium or regular salt, then adjust salt accordingly.
Use 3/4 cup half & half instead of heavy cream and milk.
3/4 cup whole milk may be used instead of heavy cream and milk for a low fat soup.
Salt – Adjust salt according to the stock used.
Few reader feedbacks:
“Amazing, next time I’m gonna double the recipe! I seasoned my gulf shrimp with lemon pepper and sautéed my onions in a herb garlic compound butter”
“Holy bananas, this recipe is amazing. It combines all of my favorite things (spinach, seafood & heavy cream 😬) with the added bonus of it being fast & completely yummy! I had all things on hand for a last minute meal (used frozen shrimp 👍🏻)”
“Doubled it. Delicious!”
“The red pepper flakes made it a little too spicy for me personally…next time I’m going to either stay away from them altogether or reduce the amount. Altogether it was fantastic!”
“Delicious and soooo easy to make!”
“I added some Italian sausage to mine for more meat..it came out Delicious!”
“This soup is simple to make and it’s delicious. It’s in our soup rotation!”
“It was AMAZING!! Very easy to make.”
- As is for dinner
- With a crusty bread or garlic knots.
- Meal Prep – Make double batch, cool, pack into mason jars for the week.
- Serve as an appetizer for your next get together.
- Enjoy for lunch with a side salad.
How long can you keep shrimp soup?
Refrigerate cooked and cooled soup in air tight containers for up to 4 days. Microwave in low heat, until warmed through.
Frequently asked questions
Frozen shrimp can be used directly in any soup recipe, since they are much smaller in size when compared to chicken or fish and defrosts quickly. However, it is important to note that the frozen shrimp needs to be peeled and deveined. Cooking them from frozen actually helps prevent overcooking resulting in a more tender shrimp.
Frozen, thawed shrimp should be washed, rinsed and patted dry before using in the recipe.
This soup recipe is relatively low in carbs, since it does not use any rice and use only 1/2 tablespoon flour per serving.
One serving of soup has 759 calories, 26 grams carbs, 2 grams fiber, 41 grams protein and 55 grams fat.
Soups, SOUP and more Soup:
Cashew Spinach Soup <— Indian style
Thai Curry Soup with Shrimp <— Instant Pot
Creamy Tomato Soup <— Best ever!
Tomato Basil Soup <—– Vegan
Creamy Italian Shrimp Soup with Spinach
- 2 tablepsoons olive oil
- 20-24 medium shrimp (about 1/2 pound) peeled, deveined and patted dry
- 2 tablepsoons butter salted or unsalted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 large garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 14.5 ounce can chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk refer notes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 2 handfuls baby spinach chopped or left whole
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt refer notes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper powder
- Add olive oil into a medium pan and place over high heat. When hot, place shrimp in a single layer, cook for one minute (without disturbing), turn them over and cook for an additional 30 seconds or cooked. Transfer shrimp to a plate and return pan back to heat, Reduce heat to medium.
- Add butter. Once melts, add onion, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1-2 minutes until translucent. Stir in flour and saute for about 30 seconds, until raw smell of flour is gone.
- Add remaining ingredients (one can stock, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/4 cup milk, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1/4 cup parmesan, 2 handfuls spinach, salt and pepper). Increase heat to high, let it come to a boil and cook for about 2 minutes until spinach is wilted. Take off heat, stir in shrimp along with any accumulated juices.
- Serve best shrimp soup hot with a crusty bread, if desired.
Salt depends on the stock that you are using and your taste preference. So, use 1/2 teaspoon and add more at the end, if desired.
A total of 3/4 cup heavy cream may be used leaving out milk.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.