If you love chicken parmesan, you will love this! All the flavors of the classic chicken parmesan made into an easy Instant pot recipe that makes a delicious sandwich filling. This Instant pot chicken parmesan sandwiches are messy deliciousness.
My favorite sandwich!
Toasted garlic bread that is stuffed with cheesy, shredded chicken coated in marinara sauce — > easy weeknight dinner.
Chicken parmesan is such a classic dish with breaded chicken cutlets topped with tomato sauce, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Juicy chicken with a crisp coating and the tomato sauce plus warm melted cheese…..D-E-L-I-S-H. It is fabulous as is for dinner with some veggies and garlic bread or also great made into sandwiches as well. I love to enjoy this classic in restaurants or make it over the weekends. Whereas, weekdays calls for easy, quick meals.
Instant pot chicken parmesan pasta <– This Instant Pot chicken parmesan pasta recipe is an easy go-to weeknight dinner. All the flavors of classic chicken parmesan made into a one pot, comforting meal.
How to make these instant pot chicken parmesan sandwiches?
- Set Instant pot to saute mode. Sear boneless, skinless chicken thighs in some olive oil on one side. (I love the dark meat of chicken thighs and it is always my go-to for all instant pot chicken recipes. But, you could totally use chicken breasts)
- Dump jarred marinara sauce (use your favorite, mine has always been Prego), sliced onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Give a good toss to distribute evenly.
- Cook on manual for 10 minutes and let pressure release naturally. The chicken will be floating in a juicy goodness (refer picture above).
- Remove the chicken onto a plate and shred using two forks (refer picture below).
Click here for more instant pot recipes
5. In the meantime, press saute function and let the sauce come a boil. Continue boiling until it is reduced until very thick, stirring occasionally.
6. Toss shredded chicken, toss well (refer picture below). Continue to cook, there is just very thick sauce coating the shredded chicken. We don’t want dripping sauce.
7. Turn off instant pot, top chicken with shredded cheeses. Close and lock lid and let cheese melt in the residual heat. (refer pictures below)
Spoon chicken between two pieces of toasted garlic burger buns.
Click here for more chicken recipes
These instant pot chicken parmesan sandwiches are
- easy clean up
- one pot — instant pot win
- best weeknight option
- great for meal prep
- kid friendly
Check out here to meal prep instant pot chicken parmesan sandwiches
Few important notes to make easy instant pot chicken parmesan:
- Chicken breast is a great substitute
- Other great alternatives for burger buns —> garlic bread / dinner rolls / texas toast / brioche buns / ciabatta
- If you’d like less saucy then decrease marinara sauce to 1 cup instead on one and half.
More easy week night instant pot dinner ideas –
Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice – Chinese take-out right in your Instant pot. Packed with chunks of tender chicken, scrambled eggs, carrots and peas, this Instant pot chicken fried rice is easier and healthier. No more take-outs!!!
Instant Pot Creamy Tuscan Chicken Soup – Cozy, comforting instant pot creamy tuscan chicken soup that is sure to warm your soul on a chilly night! The best kind of comfort food in a bowl.
Instant Pot No-Cream Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce – So creamy, so rich, so amazing yet so much healthier Instant pot no-cream pasta with tomato cream sauce. You will never miss the cream!
Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches – These Instant pot BBQ pulled chicken sandwiches are loaded with tender, succulent pulled chicken and topped off with a cabbage & sweet potato slaw.
Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches
- 2 tablespooons olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 and 1/2 cups jarred marinara sauce, I used Prego (tomato, basil & garlic)
- salt and pepper, as required (refer notes)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 burger buns
Make instant pot chicken parmesan
- Set Instant pot to saute mode. When hot, add olive oil and then place chicken in a single layer (try squishing them to fit in a single layer). Cook for about 3 minutes, until no longer pink on the bottom.
- Press cancel and turn chicken over. Add all group-2 ingredients, toss to distribute well.
- Close Instant pot, lock lid (making sure that valve is set to seal). Set on manual for 10 minutes and then let pressure release naturally.
- Open lid, press saute mode and remove only the chicken onto a large plate. Let sauce come to a boil (stirring occasionally) and reduce until very thick. In the mean time, shred chicken using two forks. Add shredded chicken back into the sauce and give a good toss. You can taste for salt at this point and adjust accordingly. Continue to cook until all the sauce has evaporated.
- Press cancel, sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan on top, cover and lock lid to melt cheese in the residual heat. Let hang out for 5 minutes, until cheese has fully melted.
Prep burger buns
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Stir melted butter, garlic powder and salt together in a small bowl. Brush cut sides of the burger buns with this butter and place cut side up on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-13 minutes or until golden.
To serve instant pot chicken parmesan sandwiches
- Spoon cooked chicken with some of the melted cheese on the bottom bun, close and enjoy.