This VEGAN Chocolate Hummus Recipe is made with ONLY 4 INGREDIENTS!!! Easy, quick and GOOD FOR YOU chocolate hummus is made with garbanzo beans, dates, cocoa powder and vanilla extract.
Okay, so this is hummus. Ain’t your authentic hummus!
Amazingly wholesome…. 3 main ingredients <—– Canned chickpeas. Dates. Cocoa Powder.
Go ahead, indulge and feel good.
This chocolate hummus is:
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
Healthy chocolate hummus with cinnamon sugar pita chips <–Snacking couldn’t get any more yummier!
CHICKPEAS : There is no soaking! Just open up a can of chickpeas, drain, rinse and pat dry. So easy and so convenient.
Dates : One of the best natural sweetener there is! I have used soft, plump Medjool dates.
Cocoa powder : Nothing fancy here. Just your good old cocoa powder from the baking section of your grocery store.
Vanilla extract, Salt : Make it more delicious
Water : Enough to blend
How to make chocolate hummus?
Add drained, rinsed canned chickpeas, pitted dates, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and salt into a food processor . Process for about 30 seconds until ground and then add water and grind until smooth and creamy.
Done and DONE!
More Chickpea recipes:
How to make Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips:
Cut each pita bread (whole wheat, wheat or regular) into 8 wedges. Coat both sides of pita wedges with a coating of non-stick cooking spray (alternatively, you brush melted butter or coconut oil) and then sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top.
Bake at 350 F for about 18 minutes, until deep golden and crisp (refer picture above)
Don’t have a sweet tooth? Check out this Spicy Ginger Garlic Pita Chips
How to meal prep?
- Make cinnamon sugar pita chips. Cool and store in a covered container at room temperature for up 2 days.
- Make chocolate hummus recipe with dates. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
- Have your choice of berries or fruits ready in the refrigerator
- Just before eating or packing, transfer cinnamon sugar pita chips, chocolate hummus and berries into meal prep containers.
Hummus can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Frequently asked questions
Homemade Chocolate hummus recipe is made with few wholesome ingredients like chickpeas, dates and cocoa powder. It is good for you and totally guilt-free.
It is made with real ingredients like chickpeas, dates, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and salt.
Chocolate hummus is delicious straight from a spoon. It can also be enjoyed with cinnamon pita chips, pretzels (for a sweet salty combo), apple slices, dried apricots, banana chips or even on toasts.
It tastes nutty from chickpeas, Chocolatey from cocoa powder, sweet from dates, vanilla extract gives a real dessert flavor. The idea of a sweet hummus might sound odd, but chickpeas are delicious made into sweet recipes as well. Many traditional South East Asian sweet recipes are made with cooked chickpeas, brown sugar known as jaggery and coconut.
Like a traditional hummus recipe, this is made from cooked chickpeas with sweeteners added instead of garlic, cumin and spices. It is smooth and creamy but makes a delicious guilt free snack to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Keeping track of all the Healthy Sweet recipes?
The 4 ingredient Guilt Free Chocolate Hummus
4 Ingredient guilt free chocolate hummus
Cinnamon sugar Pita Chips
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pita bread, I used whole wheat
Make 4 Ingredient guilt free chocolate hummus
- Add water (start with 6 tablespoon) and process for 2 to 3 minutes. Check after about 90 seconds, add additional 2 tablespoons water if necessary, We are going for a texture that will be much thicker than regular hummus.
- Transfer chocolate hummus into a a serving bowl. (Chocolate hummus can be refrigerated in a covered container for up to 4 days)
Make cinnamon sugar pita chips
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F and have a baking sheet ready.
- Stir together sugar and ground cinnamon in small bowl.
- Cut each pita bread into 8 wedges each and place on the baking sheet in a single layer. Spray a coating of non-stick cooking spray and turn wedges over and spray again on the other side.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top of the pita wedges.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes, until golden and crisp. If you are using regular ( not whole wheat) pita bread, then the pita chips will be lighter in color. Place pan on a wire rack to cool completely. (Cinnamon sugar pita chips can be stored in an air tight container at room temperature for couple of days)
- Chocolate hummus is delicious straight from a spoon. It can also be enjoyed with cinnamon pita chips, pretzels (for a sweet salty combo), apple slices, dried apricots, banana chips or even on toasts.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.