Weeknight dinner cannot get easier than this!!! 6-minutes 4-ingredient salsa chickpeas comes together in one skillet and is fabulous served with white rice, avocado, sliced jalapeño peppers and chopped cilantro. Great one for meal prep. Healthy vegan Mexican recipe for the win!
Weeknight dinner or meal prep over the weekend.
OR so easy that you could make in the morning for work lunch.
Why is this 6-minutes 4-ingredient salsa chickpeas gonna be your go-to?
- One skillet <---- easy clean up
- 6 minutes <---- faster than takeout
- 4-ingredients <--- all pantry staples
- So flavorful
- It involves avocado <---- has to be good (like this Avocado Jalapeno Crema)
Homemade Almond Butter Cups <---- Another 4-ingredient winner!!
Just because this canned chickpea recipe uses only 4 ingredients, it is not going to be any short of flavor.
2 of those ingredients packs several ingredients in itself!
The team players in this best vegan Mexican recipe:
- Taco seasoning. Use your favorite brand or check out the recipe that I used - Homemade Taco Seasoning. This is amazing blend of spices that includes chili powder, paprika, coriander powder, cumin powder, Mexican oregano, Onion powder, garlic powder, pepper powder, cayenne and salt. So much flavor!!!
- One 15.5 ounce can chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- Jarred salsa - Use your favorite kind and your favorite spice level. Another bangin' flavor that usually includes tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, garlic and lime juice.
- Vegetable oil - Not technically a team player but important to get things going.
All these ingredients are probably in your pantry already. If not, just stock up the next time you hit the grocery store and you are 6 minutes away from a healthy, fast weeknight dinner.
Instant Pot Thai Chickpeas and Spinach Curry <--- Easy, healthy take out right at home
How to make spicy vegan Mexican recipe?
Step-1 : Drain chickpeas, rinse well and let the chickpeas hang out in the strainer until you need them (this will help any residual water to drain).
Step-2 : Measure 1 tablespoon taco seasoning and ¾ cup salsa.
Step-3 - Heat a medium non-skillet (non-stick really comes in handy here) over high heat.
Step-4 : Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and let it get hot.
Step-5: Add drained chickpeas and taco seasoning. Saute for about a minute to toast the spices. (refer picture above- left)
Step-6: Stir in salsa, (refer picture above-middle) cook for 1-2 minutes, until most of the water evaporates. Don't cook until dry. (Refer picture above - right)
Step-7: Take pan off heat, and mash (just couple of times) with a potato masher. This helps in binding everything together. (refer picture below - below)
How to meal prep 6-minutes 4-ingredient salsa chickpeas?
- Make salsa chickpeas. You could double or triple the recipe (use a bigger skillet).
- Cook white rice
- Divide rice into meal prep containers and top with salsa chickpeas
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and sliced jalapeños, if desired
- Store in refrigerator for the week.
- Microwave until hot before eating
- Top with sliced/chopped avocado before eating.
Click here for detailed post on 4 ingredient salsa chickpeas meal prep
I often make batches of this healthy vegan Mexican recipe, pack into small freezer zip lock bags and freeze <-- So easy and convenient for busy weekdays.
More Easy Chickpea recipes:
Chickpea Taco Meal Prep Bowls - Healthy, easy, quick chickpea taco meal prep bowls that is nothing short of delicious. An amazing combination of tacos chickpeas,tangy pico de gallo, sweet corn, shredded cheddar, spicy jalapenos and creamy avocado slices – all piled on a bed of white or brown rice. Meal prep for the week or make it for dinner!!!
Oven Baked Beet Falafel - The tastiest falafel ever! Fresh beets, garbanzo beans and spices baked into the most delicious and healthy snack.
Spicy Garbanzo Bean Burger - This spicy garbanzo bean burger is your answer for a quick weeknight dinner! Garbanzo beans and carrot patties with a garam masala spiked sauce is delicious as is, served alongside a salad or as a burger.
6-Minutes 4-ingredient Salsa Chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can chickpeas (15.5 ounce), drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning, I used this recipe
- ¾ cup salsa (use your favorite kind)
- Heat oil in a medium non-stick skillet over high heat.
- When oil is hot, add chickpeas and taco seasoning, saute for about 1 minute for spices to be toasted.
- Stir in salsa and cook, until most of the water evaporates. (Don't make it dry )Since the salsa is one of the flavor contributing ingredient, use the salsa you truly love. If you are not sure of the brand, then I highly recommend you tasting the salsa first with a spoon. Go ahead with the recipe, if you like the taste.
- Take pan off heat and mash lightly using a potato masher. Be careful not to mash too much. Just 2 or 3 times with the masher is good enough. We just want to bind everything together.
- Serve with white rice, chopped avocado, jalapeno and cilantro.
Nutritional information is based on third party calculations, should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types, brands purchased, produce, the way ingredients are processed and more change the nutritional information in any recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Kelly @ Kelly Lynns Sweets and Treats
I love chickpeas and this is PERFECT for meatless Monday’s!! That taco spice sounds yummy on these!
Thank you Kelly:)
Katherine | Love In My Oven
We eat a lot of roasted chickpeas, so I am digging this little spin on it! Such a healthy snack!