These Sesame Breadsticks are Crunchy, Crispy, Salty, Spicy and Flavorful. Enjoy them as a snack or serve with marinara for dipping.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases through our affiliate link. For more information read our Non-Disclosure Agreement.
Crispy and Crunchy snack that can be enjoyed anytime, served with marinara sauce or with your Holiday cheeseboard. They are a fun snack to make with kids and are great to be made ahead and kids will have fun making these snake breadsticks with the same dough.
Why You'll Love This Recipe?
- Make ahead - These store well in an air tight container at room temperature for a few days.
- Homemade snack - Forget store bought packaged snacks and make at home for a healthier option.
- Great anytime - Serve with cheeseboards, snack or appetizer for dipping.
TIP - Don't roll them thicker than ¼-inch. If the breadsticks are thicker, then they'll take longer to bake and it might not get crunchy all the way though.
We used a mix of black and white sesame seeds for color, flavor and texture. Feel free to use any variety you have around.
- Flour - All purpose flour
- Sesame seeds - We used a mix of black and white seeds.
- Butter - Use room temperature unsalted butter.
- Flavorings - Red pepper flakes and salt
- Leavening - Baking powder
- Water - Use ice cold water which helps the butter stay cold until it hits the oven and is the secret to making flaky, tender breadsticks.
- Make into crackers - Roll dough into ¼-inch thickness on the counter, cut into 1-inch squares and bake until golden like these parmesan crackers.
- Don't like spicy - Skip red pepper flakes.
- Garlicky - Mix in 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic.
- Curry flavor - Mix in ½ teaspoon ground coriander, ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne and ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder to the dough.
- Italian - Mix 1 teaspoon dried parsley, garlic powder and red pepper flakes.
- Mexican - Add 2 teaspoons of taco seasoning.
How To Make?
- Mix dry - Whisk flour, sesame seeds, baking powder, red pepper flakes and salt in a bowl.
- Finish dough - Mix in ice cold water and butter and gently mix to form a smooth dough.
- Shape - Pinch pieces of dough and roll into ¼-inch thick sticks.
- Bake - Bake in a preheated 350°F until golden and crisp.
How To Store?
Breadsticks can stored in an air tight container at room temperature for up to a week.
How To Serve?
Enjoy as a homemade snack, appetizer or with cheeseboards. They are delicious served with marinara sauce, Alfredo sauce or cilantro sauce for dipping.
A great crunchy homemade snack!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe from Kitchen At Hoskins, please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. And if you took any pictures, be sure to share them on Instagram so I can share them on my stories.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (we used a mix of black and white)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ + ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon ice cold water
- Marinara sauce, for dipping
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk all dry ingredients in a medium bowl together. Add butter and mix with your fingertips until evenly combined.
3. Add water, gently knead with your hands to get a slightly smooth dough (don't knead too much, mix until it comes together and look smooth).
(Add ½ to 1 teaspoon addional water if needed)
4. Divide dough into 20 small pieces. Roll each piece with the palm of hands on the kitchen counter to get a 12-inch long breadstick (don't bother if it breaks, just pinch it back together and proceed).
5. Gently transfer the breadstick onto the baking sheet and proceed with remaining dough. Lay breadsticks in a single layer and not touching each other (they will not expand).
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown in color (rotate pan halfway through baking).
7. Place pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
Breadsticks can be stored at room temperature for several days.
Don't roll them thicker than ¼-inch. If the breadsticks are thicker, then they'll take longer to bake and it might not get crunchy all the way though.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 38Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 26mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
I am not a certified dietician or nutritionist. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This information is provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. This information is a product of online calculator such as Nutrifox.com.. Although Kitchen at Hoskins attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the nutritional information in any given recipe. Furthermore, different online calculators provide different results depending on their fact sources and algorithms. Under no circumstances will Kitchen at Hoskins be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the nutritional information. To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.