This Instant Pot Chicken Pasta is a reader favorite! All the flavors of chicken parmesan are combined with pasta, to make the easiest instant pot meal, that is ready in under 30 minutes. So so good!
Breaded and fried chicken cutlets, smothered with a marinara sauce and then topped with a layer of gooey melted cheese, like the air fryer chicken parmesan is comfort food at its finest!
In this instant pot chicken pasta,I take all those flavors, and effortlessly toss in some pasta and cook in an instant pot for an easy one-pot dish, like the instant pot shrimp pasta or instant pot chicken alfredo.
Why this recipe works?
Pasta water consists of starch granules, which thicken the sauce and acts as an emulsifier, resulting in a creamy consistency, that is much more efficient in coating the pasta, making the instant pot chicken pasta much tastier.
I add flavor to the store-bought marinara sauce with sauteed onion and garlic, and then cooking with the chicken, results in the pasta soaking up all those delicious flavors.
Scroll down to the recipe card below for full information on ingredients and amounts.
- Chicken - Like in all my chicken pasta recipes, I like to use boneless, skinless thighs. They cook tender and succulent in the pressure cooker.
- Pasta - Any medium size pasta, like penne, fussili, farfalle or rigatoni, will work, like in all our penne pasta recipes.
- Marinara sauce - My go to choice is Prego, tomato basil and garlic for it's sweet flavor, like in spicy chicken pasta.
- Cheeses - Shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese are a classic when it comes to chicken parm.
- Olive oil - Adds authentic flavor and luxurious moisture to the instant pot chicken pasta.
How to make?
You can find full printable recipe below, but here is a quick overview of the procedure along with step-by-step photos.
- Set the instant pot to saute mode. When hot, add olive oil.
- Saute chopped onion and minced garlic until it turns translucent.
- Press cancel, pour in water and marinara sauce.
- Add chicken, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
Tip: I find ¾ teaspoon salt to be perfect, for this instant pot chicken pasta recipe. However, feel free to adjust based on the type of marinara sauce used.
5 & 6. Stir all ingredients together, until well combined.
7 & 8. Add the pasta on top and gently press it into the sauce, using the back of a spoon, making sure that they are mostly immersed into the sauce.
Pro tip: Don't stir the pasta! Placing the pasta on top of the sauce will help prevent triggering the "Burn" warning. The sauce acts as a protective layer between the bottom of the pot and the pasta, reducing the risk of scorching.
9 & 10. Close instant pot and cook for 5 minutes on manual mode and then let it be in warm mode for 4 minutes.
11 & 12. Turn valve to vent and release all remaining pressure, open instant pot and sprinkle the mozzarella and parmesan on top. Close with the lid for 3 to 5 minutes, allowing the cheeses to melt. Stir instant pot chicken pasta to combine.
Pro tip: Give a good stir before serving! This allows the cheese to combine with the pasta, redistribute all ingredients, and bring the flavors together.
- Use any medium sized pasta instead of penne.
- Use boneless breasts instead of thighs.
- Adjust salt based on your taste and the type of marinara sauce used. I used Prego, tomato, basil and garlic and found ¾ teaspoon to be perfect in the instant pot chicken pasta.
More pasta recipes
Instant Pot Chicken Pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 and ¼ cups marinara sauce I used Prego, tomato, basil and garlic
- ¾ cup water
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ to ¾ teaspooon salt, refer notes I used ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized chunks
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley or basil, to garnish (optional)
- Set Instant pot to saute setting. When hot, add olive oil and then chopped onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently for 1 to 2 minutes, or translucent.
- Press cancel and then add marinara sauce, water, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and chicken.Stir well to combine.
- Add the pasta on top and gently press it into the sauce, using the back of a spoon, making sure that they are mostly immersed into the sauce.Pro tip: Don't stir the pasta! Placing the pasta on top of the sauce will help prevent triggering the "Burn" warning. The sauce acts as a protective layer between the bottom of the pot and the pasta, reducing the risk of scorching.
- Close instant pot, making sure that the valve is set to sealing, and cook for 5 minutes on manual mode and then let it be in warm mode for 4 minutes.
- Turn valve to vent and release all remaining pressure, open instant pot and sprinkle the mozzarella and parmesan on top. Close with the lid for 3 to 5 minutes, allowing the cheeses to melt. Stir to combine.Pro tip: Give a good stir before serving! This allows the cheese to combine with the pasta, redistribute all ingredients, and bring the flavors together.
Nutritional information, based on third-party calculations, should be seen as estimates, not guarantees, as various factors like product types, brands, processing methods, and more can alter the nutritional content in recipes.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment, a star rating or review below.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com.