This Mushroom Sandwich features sautéed mushrooms seasoned with aromatic herbs and spices, and juicy tomato, nestled between two slices of crispy bread, along with glorious cheesy gooeyness. It is ready in under 16 minutes!
Sautéed mushrooms are combined with juicy ripe tomatoes, melted mozzarella cheese, and cooked until crispy golden brown - This mushroom sandwich will make your lunchtime a delight.
I love mushrooms for their umami and earthiness. It is available year-round in most grocery stores, delicious grilled, baked, pan-fried, or air fried, and makes great lent dinner idea.
Mozzarella has higher moisture content and a weak protein structure, resulting in smooth melting, without breaking and being greasy.
Why you'll love this recipe?
- Garlicky, meaty without any meat, and cheesy.
- The cheese melts to a glorious gooeyness.
- Ready in 16 minutes.
- Filling and satisfying meatless idea.
Scroll down to the recipe card below for full information on ingredients and amounts.
- Pan Fried Mushrooms - I use my sauteed mushrooms recipe. It is garlicky, buttery, and perfectly seasoned.
- Tomato - Use a well-ripened tomato like Roma, Beef steak, or Heirloom variety.
- Cheese - When it comes to cheese, anything goes! A good melting cheese like mozzarella is our go-to when it comes to pairing with tomato, but other types like provolone, Mexican blend, Monterey jack, and pepper jack are all great options to try.
- Bread - Any type of white bread like a crusty loaf, sourdough or soft sandwich bread are all great options. Make sure that the slice is thin enough so the filling shines though but also not too thin, that it falls apart. Stay away from too dense or sweeter varieties like brioche or challah which are better suited for french toast or air fryer bread pudding.
- Butter - For pan-searing our mushroom sandwich in buttery goodness.
Tip: Try combining different types of cheeses or an interesting twist. For a gourmet touch, try Gruyere - It’s nutty and rich and just salty enough.
- Use mayonnaise instead of butter. Mayo has a higher smoke point than butter, which means your can cook your mushroom sandwich in a slightly higher heat for a crisper exterior.
- Saute sliced onions along with mushrooms for some sweetness.
- Wilt baby spinach with the filling.
How to make?
You can find full printable recipe below, but here is a quick overview of the procedure along with step-by-step photos.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet and add sliced mushrooms. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium, add minced garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are cooked and garlic is fragrant.
2. Spread softened butter over one side of each piece of bread. Place one slice, buttered side down, on a work surface and top with cooked mushrooms.
3 & 4. Top with freshly sliced tomato and shredded mozzarella cheese. Close the sandwich with another bread slice (buttered side up).
Did you know? The seeds and jelly in a tomato contain three times the amount of flavor than the flesh.
Preheat a small skillet over medium heat. When hot, carefully transfer a sandwich onto the hot skillet and cook until the bottom is golden brown. Press down with a flat spatula or a heavy flat-bottomed pan occasionally to help the cheese melt, fillings to adhere and the bread gets crispy. Carefully flip the sandwich and cook until the other side is golden brown.
Pro tip: You want to cook in medium heat. It is important to make sure that they don’t get browned too fast before the cheese melts.
Tip: Make it open-faced - To make an open-faced sandwich, place a toasted slice of bread on a baking sheet, pile the filling on top, and finish with a generous helping of shredded mozzarella. Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven or air fryer until the mozzarella melts.
How to serve?
This mushroom sandwich is perfect as a filling snack, lunch or light dinner. Here are a few pairing suggestions:
- With Soup - What's better than a grilled cheese and hot soup? Serve with chickpea soup, Instant Pot Tomato Soup or Spinach Soup.
- For entertaining - Make a bite-size crostini. Use sliced baguette instead to make open-faced crostini melts.
- As Breakfast - Add a fried egg to make a tasty breakfast mushroom sandwich.
Make ahead instructions
The filling can be cooked ahead and stored for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. It's best to assemble, cook and enjoy hot!
- Assembly - Begin filling and end again with mozzarella, this helps the filling to stick to melted cheese and stay intact upon cooking.
- Press down - Pressing the mushroom sandwich down with a flat spatula or a heavy flat-bottomed pan will help to crisp up the crust and make the filling adhere well with the melted cheese.
- Heat - High heat will burn the exterior of your bread before your mozzarella gets a chance to melt. Medium heat is the way to go for your mushroom sandwich.
Use basic white button or brown baby bellas (which is a more mature form of white variety) for this mushroom sandwich recipe. They are commonly available year round in all grocery stores and are more economical.
Mushrooms are like sponges and they will soak up excess water. So the best way is to give them a quick rinse under running water and pat dry right away. If they are fairly clean, just wipe off any excess debris with a damp paper towel.
More mushroom recipes
- 1 Recipe sautéed mushrooms click here
- 1 ripe tomato sliced
- 1 to 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices bread french / white / sour dough
- 1 tablespoon butter room temperature
- Spread some butter over one side of each piece of bread.
- Place one slice (buttered side down) on a work surface, top with some cheese, half mushrooms, sliced tomato and then some more cheese. Close sandwich with another bread slice (buttered side up).
- Preheat a small skillet over medium heat,. When hot, carefully transfer a sandwich onto the hot skillet and cook until the bottom is golden brown. Tip: Press down with a flat spatula or a heavy flat bottomed pan occasionally to help the cheese melt, fillings to adhere and the bread get crispy).
- Carefully flip sandwich and cook until the other side is golden brown (continue pressing down).Pro tip: You want to cook in medium heat. It is important to make sure that they don’t get browned too fast before the cheese melts.
- 5. Repeat process to cook the remaining sandwich. Serve hot!
Nutritional information, based on third-party calculations, should be seen as estimates, not guarantees, as various factors like product types, brands, processing methods, and more can alter the nutritional content in recipes.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.