Pancakes for dinner? Savory pancake recipe is the answer - Fluffy buttermilk pancakes made with mozzarella, parmesan, Italian seasoning, oregano, your favorite add-ins and cooked in olive oil for a creative mashup!!! These pizza pancakes for dinner are fabulous served hot with marinara sauce on the side.
Breakfast for dinner is a favorite at our home - Eggs are always quick and nutritious, pancakes and waffles (mostly the maple syrup dripping ones). Check out more delicious breakfast recipes.
Kids love 'em. Feels like a mini vacay and easy on me when I'm really blanking out on dinner ideas OR just not in the mood!
Pizza Pancakes for dinner are just a recipe mashup of two of the classics - Pizza and Pancake!!!
Who does not love these two?
So what is a pizza pancake?
It's a standard fluffy buttermilk pancake recipe that is made savory with all the pizza components. Genius right?
Let me explain -
- Has no sugar
- Served with marinara sauce instead of maple syrup
- Cooked in olive oil
- Pizza seasonings
- Mix in your favorite toppings
How to make Breakfast Croissant Sandwiches in a Waffle Iron? <---- Easy, Cheesy, Crispy Goodness!
Let us look at the team players in this pancake pizza:
All purpose flour
Leavening - Baking powder and baking soda
Seasoning - Salt, Italian seasoning and Oregano
Butter - Unsalted
Buttermilk - Makes the best pancakes
Cheeses - Mozzarella and Parmesan
Add ins - pepperoni, black olives, green bell pepper, red pepper flakes, chopped basil
Olive oil - for cooking pancakes
Marinara sauce for serving
What makes this savory pancake recipe really really good?
- I adopt my secret technique of mixing in butter into the flour instead of stirring in melted butter. This technique that is used to make tender pastries is the secret in making a very soft pancake. Read more in this Blueberry pancake.
- The pancake is flavored with Italian seasoning, oregano, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses
- We cook in olive oil instead of butter. This makes a thin, crisp crust and adds to that pizza flavor that we are going for
- What is a pizza pancake without any tomato sauce? We swap the maple syrup for marinara sauce.
- Pizza without toppings? NAY!! Mix in your favorite toppings.
How to make pizza pancakes for dinner?
Step-1: Mix all dry ingredients together
Step-2 : Mix room temperature butter with your fingertips , until the flour resembles coarse sand.
Step-3: Mix egg and buttermilk together and then stir into the flour.
Step-4: Stir in cheeses and any toppings
Step-5: Make pancakes in olive oil
Done and DONE.
Your basic everyday pancake made a bit different!
Tips and tricks in making the best savory pancake recipe:
Olive oil - Do not reduce olive oil. It not only adds flavor, but also contributes a thin, crisp crust on the pizza pancakes (it does soften after cooling) which makes it more delicious.
Add ins - You may choose to add any one or more than one of your favorite toppings. But, Do not add more than ¼ cup of total toppings.
Butter - Butter is mixed into the flour for a soft, tender pancake.
Do not over mix – The same rule applies as with all pancake batters. It is better to see tiny pockets of dry flour rather than mixing to make it smooth.
Buttermilk – Buttermilk makes the most tender and flavorful blueberry pancakes. If you are out of buttermilk, then here is a really good method to make your own in a pinch – Mix 1 cup milk and 3 tablespoons of white vinegar or lemon juice. Let it stand for about 10 minutes. Stir before using and measure ¾ cup for the recipe.
How to freeze these lunch pancakes?
Cook and cool pancakes. Place in a zip lock bag, seal and freeze. Thaw to room temperature. Place (without any oil) in a medium-hot nonstick skillet and heat on both sides until hot. Serve with marinara sauce.
More Kid-Friendly Dinner Ideas :
Pancakes for Dinner - Pizza Pancakes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, for cooking pancakes
- marinara sauce, for serving
Optional add ins
- chopped pepperoni
- chopped black olives
- diced green bell pepper
- chopped basil
- red pepper flakes
- Whisk group-1 ingredients together in a large bowl. Add butter and mix with your fingertips, until you can no longer see butter and it resembles coarse sand. Set aside.
- In a seperate bowl, add egg and buttermilk. Whisk to combine.
- Pour into the flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until ALMOST mixed. DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Stir in both cheeses and any other optional add ins that you might want to add (you can choose any one or more than one, but do not add more than ¼ cup total) Again, DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Heat a medium non-stick pan over medium heat. When hot, add about 1 and ½ tablespoon olive oil and dollop about ¼ cup batter onto the hot skillet and spread them lightly with the back of a spoon. ( I cooked 4 pancakes per batch).
- Cook for about 2 minutes, until the underside is deep golden brown and small bubbles appear on the top. Turn over and cook addional 2 minutes, until underside is also deep golden brown and pancake should spring back when touched.
- Remove pancakes onto a plate and repeat process to make 4 more pancakes.
- Serve hot with marinara sauce on the side.
Nutritional information, based on third-party calculations, should be seen as estimates, not guarantees, as various factors like product types, brands, processing methods, and more can alter the nutritional content in recipes.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.