This chocolate chip cookie mug cake recipe is the best! It’s light, fluffy and tastes exactly like a warm chocolate chip cookie fresh from the oven, but in the form of a cake.
Why a chocolate chip cookie in a mug? Because all chocolate chip cookies need to be HOT!!!
My children’s wish came true! Since the elves are exhausted after Christmas, mommy had to step in for this one.
A chocolate chip cookie warm, every time.
We love, love, love this chocolate chip mug cake. One mug, 90 seconds….soft, light, fluffy cake with ooey gooey chunks of chocolate goodness and tastes just like a chocolate chip cookie.
Top it with more chocolate chips and then a sprinkling of sea salt….YESSS.
Team players for this chocolate chip cookie mug cake:
- Dark brown sugar
- Chocolate Chips
- Baking powder
All your traditional chocolate chip ingredients except milk and baking powder.
How to make a chocolate chip cookie in a mug?
Step-1: Add butter into a microwave cup and pop into the microwave until just melted (don’t let it get too hot)
Step-2: Add all other ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, DARK brown sugar and milk)
Step-3: Stir well with a fork. Don’t over mix
Step-4: Stir in some chocolate chips
Step-5: Microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes
Step-6: Remove from microwave and immediately sprinkle more chocolate chips and some sea salt
Tips and Tricks to the best cookie in a mug:
- DARK BROWN SUGAR – I’m not saying no to light or golden brown sugar. But, the deep molasses flavor in dark brown sugar make this cookie in a mug taste exactly like a warm chocolate chip cookie.
- Don’t let the butter get too hot. Cook in microwave until just melted.
- Don’t over mix . Like all baked goods over mixing develops gluten and makes a not-so-tender baked treat.
- Don’t skip salt. The additional bit of salt on the top takes it to the next level!
What makes this mug chocolate chip cookie recipe so good?
How many times have you craved a warm chocolate chip and reached for a store bought pack or worse, try to whip up a batch and have to wait for about an hour to eat one cookie? This recipe takes care of that! You get to enjoy a hot cookie in about 2 minutes. YES.
This chocolate chip mug cake tastes exactly like a chocolate chip cookie. No kidding. The key is in the melted butter and DARK brown sugar. The deep, complex molasses flavor of dark brown sugar is amazing. PLEASE DO NUT SUB WITH LIGHT/GOLDEN BROWN SUGAR. If you do, your mug cookie will taste great but not the knock your sock off chocolate chip cookie taste.
Craving more chocolate recipes? Check out :
Whole Wheat double chocolate Avocado muffins – An amazingly healthier version of chocolate muffins! They are perfectly moist, chocolatey, delicious and so decadent. The ultimate whole wheat chocolate avocado muffins.
Gluten Free Nutella Brownie Muffins – Moist, fudgy, oh-so-decandent, 4-ingredient Gluten free Nutella Brownie Muffins !!! The simplest of recipes and is an absolute family favorite.
Nutella Stuffed Dates – A bit of healthy and a bit of indulgence, yes please! These Nutella stuffed dates are sweet, chewy, chocolatey with a bit of crunch.
No Bake Chocolate Avocado Oatmeal Balls – No one will ever guess that these no bake chocolate avocado oatmeal balls are made with avocado! Sweet, chewy, chocolatey and can be made vegan and gluten-free as well.
Single Serve, 4 Ingredient, Fudgy Nutella Brownie Mug Cake – Ready in 90 seconds! Incredibly simple and easy single serve, 4 ingredient, fudgy Nutella brownie mug cake – perfect for Valentines day, weeknight dessert, after school treat with milk or just about anytime!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Mug Cake
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, not packed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt + more for topping
- 2 1/2 tablespoons semi sweet chocolate chips + more for topping
- additional semi sweet chocolate chips
- additional salt
- Place butter in a large microwave safe coffee mug. Microwave until just melted (don't let get very hot) about 30- 60 seconds. (It melts faster in a wide mug and takes a bit longer in tall, narrow mug).
- Remove mug from microwave and add flour, dark brown sugar, milk, baking powder and salt. Stir well with a fork, until smooth. Stir in 2 1/2 tablespoons chocolate chips.
- Microwave (on high) for 1 minute and 25 seconds for a wide mug (as shown in the picture) or 1 minute and 35 seconds for a tall, narrow mug. Do not cook longer!
- Remove from microwave, sprinkle more chocolate chips and salt (if desired).
- Eat chocolate chip cookie mug cake hot with a tall glass of cold milk!
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.