The addictive In-n-Out animal style fries made into a convenient and easy side dish, snack, appetizer or your next game day crowd-pleaser!! Baked potato halves are topped with melted cheese, drizzled with a version of In-N-Out sauce and then sprinkled with caramelized onions.
Raise your hand if you like In-N-Out? Who am I kidding?
LOVE is the key word.
The ultimate burger, fries and shakes. And then, they have the secret menu – animal style burger / animal style fries / Neapolitan shake / ……
The animal fries is highly addictive – Freshly cut potatoes, deep fried until golden, seasoned and topped with melted American cheese, classic sauce and caramelized onions. YUMMMM.
It’s the same (well, almost) thing but on top of easy baked potatoes instead of french fries.
‘Tis an amazing baked potato recipe.
It makes the best party appetizer (hint: Super bowl Sunday is in 10 days) or a side dish on your dinner plate.
Though there are several components to this baked potato halves, they can be easily prepped ahead.
- Animal style sauce (can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator until serving time.
- Caramelized onions can be made ahead, cooled and stored in the refrigerator. Bring it to room temperature before serving.
- Baked potatoes can be made several hours ahead.
Few minutes before serving, slice potatoes in half, top with cheese, cook until cheese melts, drizzle sauce and sprinkle onions. Serve.
“In-N-Out Animal Style Fries” inspired Baked Potato Halves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, small, thinly sliced
- 6 russet potatoes, small
- 3 slices American cheese
- Stir all ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to use.
Make caramelized onions:
- Heat olive oil in a small non-stick skillet over low heat. Add sliced onions and cook (stirring occasionally), until browned and caramelized, about 25 minutes. Remove onions onto a paper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil.
Make baked potato halves:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F or 205 degrees C. Wash and scrub potatoes and pierce all over with a fork. Place them on a baking sheet and bake potatoes for about 1 hour or until slightly soft. (Refer notes for instructions on how to bake potatoes in the microwave). Let potatoes cool before cutting. (This can be several hours ahead).
Few minutes before serving:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (or 230 degrees C).
- Slice potatoes is half and place on a baking sheet (skin side down). (Optional step – score the flesh slightly in a criss-cross pattern with the tip of a knife). Sprinkle some salt and pepper and then place about 1/2 slice cheese on top (tear to fit) of each potato . Place pan in the oven and bake until cheese melts, about 5 minutes. (refer notes for instructions on how to do it quickly in a microwave)
- Remove from oven, drizzle some sauce on top and then top with a few caramelized onions. Serve hot.
If you make any recipes from Kitchen@Hoskins be sure to tag #kitchenathoskins on Instagram and also please leave a comment! I’d love to see your creation.