Super delicious chicken sandwiches made with tandoori chicken and a lemon-herb mayonnaise.
Say hello to creamy, spicy sandwich perfection.
Clearly I love tandoori chicken, duh.
Mmm…can you blame me? So easy (not quick), healthy and conveniently made at home in your oven or backyard grill.
Great sandwich with leftover tandoori chicken.
And infinite possibilities with leftovers. Like Tandoori chicken naanwich or Baked egg & tandoori chicken cups or just Skewered tandoori chicken with cashew-mint chutney.
Here’s the deal, if you have never attempted making tandoori chicken, ’tis incredibly easy. Slightly long ingredient list, but you most probably have everything in your pantry right now. Stir all ingredients, toss chicken and let hang out in the fridge for several hours and then broil or grill.
Skill level – Intermediate
Tandoori Chicken Sandwiches
1/2 cup greek or plain yogurt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon dry fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi), optional
2 garlic cloves, grated
1/4 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
2 teaspoons coriander powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
1/8 teaspoon orange food color, optional
4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 pounds)
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup finely chopped mint
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
1/4 cup minced onion
1 small jalapeños pepper, finely chopped (remove seeds, if you prefer less spicy)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 hamburger buns
1. Stir all ingredients (except chicken) in a medium bowl and toss chicken around to coat well with the marinade. Cover bowl with a plastic wrap and let marinade in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
2. Place a oven-safe wire rack on a baking sheet and set aside.
3. Place chicken (in a single layer) on the prepared baking sheet (the wire rack will help all excess moisture to drip down).
4. Place baking sheet about 6-inches from heat element and broil on high for about 25 minutes, until chicken is cooked and slightly charred. (Alternatively, you can cook chicken on your outdoor grill)
5. Place baking sheet on a wire rack to cool slightly, before serving.
To make lemon-herb mayonnaise
Stir all ingredients together. Can be made up to day ahead and stored in the refrigerator.
To assemble sandwiches
Spread about 3 tablespoons lemon-herb mayonnaise on the bottom half of a bun. Place one chicken thigh on it (slice if you’d like), close and repeat with remaining sandwiches.
Makes 4 sandwiches
My choice of cut is always chicken thighs, as they super flavorful and almost impossible to overcook. But, you many use chicken breasts instead.