Cute Halloween clementines and edible broomstick are fun to make and to eat. They are perfect Halloween food idea for kids.
Aren't these the cutest? Just like the Halloween poptarts, we totally loved these Halloween oranges and my son ate more clementines than he's ever consumed in a year!!! Eating a fruit just got a LOT MORE FUN.
Although these are not totally healthy, we love the look! It's Halloween after all, there needs to candy somewhere, right?
Why you'll love these?
- Fun to make and fun to eat
- Creative and Unique
- Kids love it
- Healthy and indulgent
- No Cooking involved
What's in these?
- Clementine - The shape is more pumpkinny ( yes, we totally made up a new word!!) when compared to an orange. But, if you cannot find clementines, then you can always go with an orange
- Oreo cookies - Regular Oreos only!! No double stuffed, mini, triple double, Oreo thins or golden.
- Hershey's Dark chocolate Kisses - Dark chocolate goes with the dark colored Oreo cookie
- Chocolate chips - We are using melted chocolate as the glue
- Candy eyeballs - Available in most major supermarkets, craft supply stores and of course Amazon
- Pretzel sticks - Usually available along with regular pretzels
- Fruit Rollups - I used only red color for a more uniform look. But, you can always different colors (or your child's favorite color) to make fun brooms.
HOW TO EAT?
You know it's one unique recipe when there are instructions on how to eat. You pop out the chocolate hat and then followed by the eyes. You can now peel the skin off and enjoy the sweet fruit.
HOW TO MAKE?
Clean - Wash clementines and towel dry very well or let air dry for a few hours. Even a little moisture will not make chocolate to stick well. Remove the stem ends (refer picture above-right). This gives them stability instead of wobbling around.
Stick eyes - Melt chocolate chips in microwave. Using a toothpick, place a dab of melted chocolate on the back of two candy eyeballs and stick to the clementine. Set aside while you make hats.
Make hats: Spoon some melted chocolate into a small ziplock bag, snip off an end and squeeze about 1 teaspoon on an Oreo. Place a Hersheys Kiss chocolate on it, pressing gently for the chocolate to come around the edges (refer picture below-left) .
Ain't pretty? Then squeeze some melted chocolate on top of the clementine (and stick the hat on it. Store in refrigerator to set.
HOW TO MAKE BROOMSTICKS?
Make base - Cut 5-inch pieces from Fruit rollups. Brush both sides with confectioners sugar (this helps not to stick as much) and fold in half (Step 1, picture below-right). Using scissors, trim to about half the height (not all the way).
Finish - Dip the tip of a pretzel stick in melted chocolate and roll the fruit leather around it. Using the tooth pick place a dab of melted chocolate at the end of fruit leather to help it stick well. Place brooms in refrigerator to set.
More Halloween food ideas for kids:
- Rinse clementines and towel dry very well to remove all moisture and remove any attached stem ends.
- Place ⅔ rd of melted chocolate into a small ziplock bag, seal and snip off a corner. Place remaining chocolate in a small bowl and have a tooth pick handy.
- Using the toothpick, place a small dab of melted chocolate on the back of candy eye balls and stick two eyes on each clementine to make a face (refer pictures if needed).
- Squeeze some melted chocolate in the middle of an Oreo and gently place a Hershey's Kiss on top, pressing slightly so that the excess chocolate comes around the edges. Repeat to make 6 hats and set aside.
Stick hats to the clementine face:
- Using the ziplock bag, squeeze some melted chocolate on top of each clementine and press a witch hat on top and press slightly to stick. Repeat process to make all witch clementines.
- Cut 6 x 5-inch pieces from fruit roll ups. Dust a plate with confectioners sugar and have a pastry brush handy.
- Working with one piece at a time, brush both sides of fruit roll up with confectioners sugar (this helps the fruit roll up less sticky). Fold each piece in half and then cut thin strand across to about half the height (refer pictures if needed). Dip the end of a pretzel stick in some melted chocolate and roll the fruit roll around it to form a broom. If the end of the fruit rollup doesn't stick well, then place a dab of melted chocolate to stick.
- Place all clementine witches and witch brooms in the refrigerator for chocolate to harden and set.
Nutritional information, based on third-party calculations, should be seen as estimates, not guarantees, as various factors like product types, brands, processing methods, and more can alter the nutritional content in recipes.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.