Chocolate chip banana mug cake bakes in the microwave in exactly 90 seconds. Warm, light and fluffy mug cake with gooey melted chocolate chips and crunchy walnuts will satisfy any craving!
When life gives you bananas… It is time for banana bread.
But, what if you just have one over ripe banana that no body wants to eat?
Then it is time for a Chocolate Chip Banana Mug Cake. It is
- Single serving <—– Portion control
- Cooks in 90 seconds
- Late night munchy
- Quick snack/ dessert
- Microwave cooking
Mug cakes come in handy when I’m not in the mood to bake an entire cake yet still wanna satisfy my sweet tooth. Have you checked out this Black Forest Mug Cake, Mocha Mug Cake, Chai Cake in a Mug, Mango Mug Cake, Chocolate Chip Cookie Mug Cake or this decadent 4 Ingredient, Fudgy Nutella Brownie Mug Cake? Especially during these times when flour is hard to find.
How to make Banana mug cake?
1.Add room temperature butter into a microwave safe mug
2. Melt in microwave (don’t get it too hot).
3. Add mashed banana and sugar.
4. Give a good stir.
5. Add all purpose flour, ground cinnamon and baking powder.
6. Stir well and then followed by semi sweet chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.
7. Stir again and then top with more chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.
8. Microwave for 90 seconds (do not open the microwave during this time)
9. Enjoy after few seconds.
A hot chocolate chip banana mug cake that is light, fluffy with bits of crunchy walnuts and ooey gooey chocolate chips. YUMMMM
Though the banana mug cake recipe is delicious as is, a little topping to take it over the top ain’t gonna hurt. Here are few suggestions:
Banana cake is good without chocolate chips but so much better with it! If you are a fan of chocolate chips like me, then here are more ideas to use them – Cheesecake Stuffed Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie, Dark chocolate Avocado truffles, White Chocolate Bark, 4 Ingredient Raw Almond Bites or Healthyish Avocado Waffles
Few notes on making this chocolate chip mug cake:
Mashed banana – You will need about 1/2 medium banana. A well ripened banana that is too soft for eating is great for this.
Sugar – 1 and 1/2 tablespoons sugar along with chocolate chips gives the right amount of sweetness without being too sweet. If you are skipping chocolate chips then increase sugar to 2 tablepsoons.
Butter – Salted or unsalted butter both will work here. Also, it is better to use room temperature butter, since it melts quicker without making the mug too hot. But, cold butter will work just as fine.
Walnuts – Chopped toasted pecans will be a great substitute as well.
Chocolate Chips – I used semi sweet chocolate chips. Bittersweet or unsweetened chocolate chips will compliment as well. Try staying away from milk chocolate chips since it might result in a much sweeter chocolate chip mug cake.
More recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth like this eggless banana mug cake recipe:
Or more sweet recipes
Chocolate Chip Banana Mug Cake
- Place butter in a large microwave safe coffee mug. Microwave until just melted (don't let get very hot) about 30- 60 seconds. (Room temperature butter melts in about 30 seconds whereas cold butter takes a bit longer)
- Remove mug from microwave and stir in mashed bananas and sugar. Add flour, baking powder and ground cinnamon. Stir well, until well combined. Then stir in 1 tablespoon each of chocolate chips and chopped walnuts. Sprinkle few chocolate chips and chopped walnuts on top.
- Microwave (on high) for 90 seconds for a wide mug (as shown in the picture) or 95 seconds for a tall, narrow mug. Do not cook longer! Do not open the microwave during the cooking time!
- Remove from microwave, cool for a few seconds before digging in.
- You could top warm mug cake with Nutella / whipped cream / sliced bananas / toasted nuts / a pinch of sea salt.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.