Chocolate Almond Butter Overnight Oats for one is Rich, Decadent, No-Cook and Ready to go in the fridge. Made with rolled oats, Chia seeds, cocoa powder and almond butter, it is a Healthy Breakfast to go!
Chocolate Almond Butter Overnight Oats
If you’re an almond butter lover like me, you’ll know that I pretty much like to use them in every way possible like these chocolate truffles, almond butter cookies or these no bake almond bars.
If you are not new around here, then you might be familiar with our love affair with overnight oats like this mango overnight oats. Making up a batch of these is a great way to feel like you are getting a decadent dessert without actually eating a dessert.
A ridiculously easy to make breakfast for one, ready to go in the fridge and great as snack anytime. It is Rich, Thick, Creamy, Decadent, Healthy with vegan, dairy free and gluten free options.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS OATS?
Almond butter and chocolate.. what’s not to love?!
- Meal Prep Friendly – These are great for meal prepping because they only take a few minutes to put together in the evening. They also last for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Super Easy to Make – If you have 5 minutes that’s all it takes to make this recipe.
- High Protein & Delicious– These high in protein to help you stay full throughout the day!
WHAT MILK TO USE?
Regular whole or 2% milk, almond, cashew or oat milk are all great options. However, we recommend staying away from coconut milk, since it alters the taste slightly when combined with nut butter.
CAN YOU USE CHOCOLATE MILK?
We highly recommend not to! Store bought chocolate flavored milk contains sweeteners, color, additives and artificial ingredients. So, it not only affects the taste, but also makes it not very healthy recipe. However, if you choose to use, then make sure to reduce the cocoa powder.
IS THIS THICK WITHOUT YOGURT?
Absolutely! Chia seeds, oats, almond butter and cocoa powder helps in making this a thick and creamy recipe.
WHAT TYPE OF OATS TO USE?
- Oats - Use only old fashioned or rolled variety.
- Quick cooking results in a less creamy oatmeal, but reduce the milk by 1 to 2 tablespoons.
- Steel cut results in a more chewier oatmeal. Make sure to increase milk by 2 tablespoons.
- Instant is highly processed and hence not recommended.
How Long Do They Need to Soak?
You’d assume that they need to soak overnight, but you can actually make them in about 4 to 6 hours if you’re in a rush. While it does take time for it to absorb the liquid and it helps the starches break down, which helps your body utilize the nutrients much more efficiently. So, we recommend soaking them at least 8 hours if possible.
Only 6 main ingredients are needed to form the main part of this recipe, then just add whichever toppings you’d like.
- old fashioned rolled oats – They are the best for this recipe. Instant, quick and steel cut don’t work the same because they don’t absorb liquid the same way.
- almond butter – Use your favorite nut butter.
- milk – Use regular or almond milk to make it vegan.
- honey or maple syrup – Honey or pure maple syrup is the perfect natural sweetener to use because it’s liquid so it blends in nicely with the mixture.
- cocoa powder - For the decadent chocolatey flavor.
- chia seeds – these little seeds add a bit of fiber, protein and omega-3 fatty acids and they help absorb some of the liquid which gives a thicker consistency.
- vanilla extract and sea salt – For flavoring.
PRO TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Simply double the recipe to make it for two.
- Make it vegan - Replace almond milk instead of regular and maple syrup instead of honey.
- Dairy Free - Use plant based milk like almond, oat or cashew milk.
- Gluten Free - Use gluten free variety.
These are perfect as is, but you can add a lot of yummy toppings to them! Here are some of our favorite things to top it with:
- fresh fruit – Sliced banana or fresh strawberries
- nuts – chopped sliced almonds, peanuts, hazelnuts
- nut butter – a drizzle of peanut or almond butter is yummy
- more chocolate - mini semi sweet chocolate chips or grated dark chocolate
- Coconut - shredded or flaked coconut
How to make?
These are super easy to make – no cooking required! Just follow the simple steps below to get started.
- Mix ingredients together. Mix all of the ingredients together in a mason jar or small bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or close jar with a lid.
- Let chill in fridge overnight. Place in the fridge to chill overnight.
- Top and enjoy! The next morning, top with your favorite toppings and serve cold.
Great for meal prep!
One of my favorite things about these is that they are great for meal prep. It will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, which makes them perfect meal prep breakfast!
Simply double or triple the recipe depending on how many servings you need and then transfer into mason jars, for individual serving portions.
How to serve?
Eat cold, straight from the refrigerator, topped with sliced banana, strawberry, toasted nuts, shredded coconut or dark chocolate chips.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
It can be prepared up to 2-3 days in advance, sometimes longer.
It can be eaten hot or cold. To heat, microwave for ~45-60 seconds (just ensure there’s enough space at the top of your jar to prevent overflowing), or transfer to a saucepan and heat over medium heat until warmed through.
We prefer using rolled variety to make overnight oats, but you can use quick variety – they will just be softer.
Follow me on INSTAGRAM, TIK TOK, FACEBOOK or PINTEREST for more delicious recipes.
Chocolate Almond Butter Overnight Oats
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 to 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 and ½ tablespoon cocoa powder
- ½ cup old fashion oats
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
For serving (optional)
- Additional almond butter
- Sliced almonds
- Sliced bananas
- Add milk, almond butter, honey and cocoa powder into a mason jar (or any other container) and stir well, until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients (oats, chia seeds, vanilla extract and salt). Cover and refrigerate overnight (or at least 6 hours).
- To eat - Stir once, top with additional almond butter, sliced almonds and bananas. Enjoy!
Nutritional information is based on third party calculations, should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types, brands purchased, produce, the way ingredients are processed and more change the nutritional information in any recipe.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Hello! I made this yesterday, and it turned out delicious. I'm wondering - it says the calorie content is 1408 per serving. Is this accurate? It seems to be an overstatement considering the ingredients. Thanks in advance!
Hi Audrey, Glad you liked it hun. We will check on the calorie calculation and fix any errors. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. Have a wonderful day - Maria