This Banana Overnight Oats captures all the flavors of a banana nut muffin in a convenient overnight oats recipe!
With banana overnight oats, it's important to achieve the correct liquid-to-oat ratio to ensure a creamy, spoonable consistency.
Excessive liquid will result in a soupy texture, while insufficient liquid will hinder oat expansion, leading to a less tender consistency. Therefore, striking the right balance is crucial for optimal results.
Like the eggless banana muffin recipe, this oats is packed with banana flavor and is not overly sweet.
Why you'll love it?
- An easy way to use an overripe banana sitting on your kitchen counter
- Customize the way you like it
- Mildy sweet
- No cooking required - Just mash, mix, sit and enjoy
Scroll down to the recipe card below for full information on ingredients and amounts.
- Oats - As in the baked oatmeal recipe, use old fashioned or rolled oats for the best texture
- Milk - You can use either whole or skim milk for your banana overnight oats. Alternatively, coconut or almond milk can be excellent substitutes as well to make it vegan.
- Yogurt - I like to use Greek yogurt for it's thick and creamy consistency.
- Banana - As in almond flour banana pancakes, bananas with lots of brown spots are naturally sweeter, reducing the need for excess maple syrup or brown sugar.
- Chia seeds - Adds nutrition and gels up upon soaking and helps to further thicken into a pudding consistency as in coconut chia pudding.
- Sweetener - Feel free to sweeten your overnight oats with either maple syrup or light brown sugar. Adjust the amount based on the natural sweetness of the banana to suit your taste.
- Flavorings - I opted for ground cinnamon and just a pinch of salt in my recipe. For a more dessert-like flavor, consider adding a splash of vanilla extract.
Pro tip: Use only rolled oats! Steel cut oats take longer to soften, need more liquid, and may not be as soft as rolled oats, and instant oats dissolve quickly, resulting in a mushy consistency.
How to make?
You can find full printable recipe below, but here is a quick overview of the procedure along with step-by-step photos.
This overnight oats typically last in the refrigerator for up 2 days when sealed in mason jar or an air tight container. Top them with chopped walnuts and sliced banana just before eating.
Will the banana overnight oats turn dark in color? The mashed banana will darken slightly in color, but it will remain delicious. However, if stored for longer period, the banana overnight oats will continue to darken. For optimal taste and appearance, it's recommended to consume them within two days.
- Use only rolled oats. Instant oats will turn mushy and steel cuts will remain too hard and difficult to digest.
- Use gluten free oats to make it gluten free.
More overnight oats recipes
Banana Overnight oats
- Add all ingredients into a large mason jar or any glass container and stir until evenly combined.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or up to 2 days. Top with sliced bananas, chopped walnuts before serving.
Nutritional information, based on third-party calculations, should be seen as estimates, not guarantees, as various factors like product types, brands, processing methods, and more can alter the nutritional content in recipes.